If you are a non- believer, why be moral when no one is looking?

If you are a non- believer in, all that you do is being recorded in the heavens, why be moral when no one is looking?

If there are no records and no witness, why not do anything you want?

If no one sees you do it, then is it a deed not done?

If all of this is true, then why do we have a conscience, where did it come.

We are told in scriptures that our conscience is our natural way of doing God's will in the absence of his Law.

Views: 3531

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Not true this is becoming a full time job after work, and I still am not done.

All of your points have been rebutted several times throughout this thread, but you keep restating you disproven premises. Yet when someone asks you a direct question; why are you here? -you dodge the question and instead criticise the questioner for asking it. So again;  Why are you here? What is your motivation for posting ignorant bullshit and refusing to acknowledge valid criticisms?

To save trash mouths as yourself, LOL

Seriously I have no particular agenda beyond challenging paradigms. IF I am boring you, you know where the door is. If not sit tight. 

You'll have to actually provide something new and valid to challenge any paradigms. You have yet to do that, so I call bullshit on you, troll. And what exactly are you saving me from? How does you trolling accomplish that?

Your are becoming repetitious blubber man, put on a shirt. LOL

Your are becoming repetitious

As are you Michael. Its a consequence of your repetitiousness. No point in answering your questions if you're going to keep repeating the same statements.

Also, you're or you are, not your.

Reason and Queen's English - two major obstacles. ;)

The law of the land and human conscienceness suffices as a sufficient emulation of God to maintain social order.

The law of the land and our conscience--with our invented God(s) who have emulated the Stone Age version of our collective conscience--probably helped our civilization in the past to evolve and modernize quickly.

But now, most of the world suffers from most versions of these inventions of divinity and sacred writings (except for writings finally recognized as myth).

[I reworded my previous post to make more sense.]

What shocks me is your admission that if you thought you could get away with it, you would rape, murder and pillage, just for kicks. Is that not what you're saying? It sure sounds like it to me. If true, this would make you a psychopath.

Read the beginning of the post again and you will disprove your observation.

Wow, exactly Michael. In-fact those immoral bastards as Doctors Without Borders, OXFAM, and many other organizations without religious ties are on the fast track to hell right? Because unlike missionaries their good work, is done in the name of humanity, not in the name of jesus.  Ugh, the immorality! 

And what about some of the people who "claim" to be moral. Like Bertrand Russel! He spent his life just wallowing in acts of filth and putridity. Here's a recap from his wiki page:

Russell was a prominent anti-waractivist; he championed free trade and anti-imperialism.[5][6] Russell went to prison for his pacifism during World War I.[7] Later, he campaigned against Adolf Hitler, then criticised Stalinisttotalitarianism, attacked the United States of America's involvement in the Vietnam War, and was an outspoken proponent of nuclear disarmament.[8] One of his last acts was to issue a statement which condemned Israeli aggression in the Middle East.[9]

I can hardly bare to read it. You're right. Being a non-believer does in fact lead to immoral acts.

Now I realize your post is to suggest to if we as non-believers in-fact act moral, then it has to be driven by something, ala-consiousness and that has to come from a creator. However you should know being a former atheist that there are many studies pointing to the fact that morality is visible in children and chimps alike at extremely young ages. It's part of our brain's chemical reaction. 

And don't forget the most important point, your god, if he in fact exists, is absolutely no barometer  for morailty whatsoever. 

"If Yaweh works in mysterious ways that utterly contradict our notions of moral behavior then its nature is clearly not a source of our morality" - Qualiasoup

Seriously?!!  This is just bigoted trolling.  The others here have gone a long way toward answering your question, to the extent you were looking for an answer--which you weren't because you are just here to spout and "confirm" your bigotry.  But, if by some chance you really were curious, I suggest you read their replies and think about them and then do some research--real research--on moral philosophy.

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/09/religion-and-moral...

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/09/religion-and-moral...

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/12/real-world-effect-...

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service