If people believe in God, why do they not believe in magic?

I've always grown up in a Christian/Catholic family, and as I grew older learned that there was no such thing as magic. But how can the story of Jesus and God be told without any magic or supernatural occurances? Is it some different type of trickery that God used? Because as soon as Hagrid gives me my Hogwarts letter, I'll believe.

Tags: Jesus, Magic, god

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dragons too. Part of the book of Matthew that was cut out by the Catholic church at the Council of Trent included a story about Jesus taming a herd of Dragons, and preventing them from killing his family. Then again, Christianity isn't cool enough for dragon taming wizards.

Frank: where did you find this bit about dragons?

In the apocryphal New Testament books. The dragons were in the original version of Matthew, and were taken out at the council of Trent when they decided it sent the wrong message. Other fun stories are in those deleted books, like Jesus exploding snakes, killing a kid (which is told in three separate books) and striking people with blindness for accusing him of having a massive ego.

It's in Chapter 18 of the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew: 'And, lo, suddenly there came forth from the cave many dragons; and when the children saw them, they cried out in great terror. Then Jesus went down from the bosom of His mother, and stood on His feet before the dragons; and they adored Jesus, and thereafter retired'

If people believe in god, they do believe in magic.

Only the magic of miracles is congruent with religious beliefs. Of course, magic construed as parlor tricks is quite fine.

Isn't there a story where one of the saints, I think it was Peter, has a magic rap-off with a wizard or something where each performs miracles such as levitation and fireballs and then the wizard kills himself just before he pulls off this epic stunt. I might be wrong; it's been a while before I read the new testicle.

EDIT: Found it. It was Simon Magus. Heres the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Magus

they think its bogus hahaha the irony!!

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service