If in killing a woman her unborn baby is killed as well...

Charge the killer with a double murder or not?

Suppose she doesn't die but the baby does?

Views: 1385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see it as an aggravating factor. In the case of the woman who survives but loses her baby, that loss of a future that was dreamt about and relied upon constitutes a damage. In the case of a woman who was murdered while being pregnant, it's a loss and damage to the potential child's father, grandparents, and perhaps even the community.

I agree. I have no issue with it being considered a felony offence; it just isn't murder.

@Un....;

In this instance you are making an argument for the civil courts not the criminal courts, your original question regards criminal definitions not civil definitions.

Civil courts concern themselves with loss and damages.

Criminal courts concern themselves with crime and punishment.

To me, the essence of Pro-choice is that it is the pregnant woman who has the right of choice, and no-one else (they can advise, but that's it).

From that standpoint, killing a pregnant woman (and the unborn fetus) should count as a double murder, while abortion is the woman's choice.

In a similar way, assisting with suicide (euthanasia) should not be considered murder, while killing someone against their choice should be (and is).

I believe the law was passed on 2004 by the Republican Senate and passed by then President Bush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unborn_Victims_of_Violence_Act

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-212) is a United States law which recognizes a child in utero as a legal victim, if he or she is injured or killed during the commission of any of over 60 listed federal crimes of violence. The law defines "child in utero" as "a member of the species Homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb".[1]

So it doesn't matter if the she lives or not, it will be still counted as a crime under the law because it is still harming or injuring the fetus. 

There was a whole lot of debate about this because those who are for pro choice argued that it undermined the value of Roe vs Wade ruling. The idea is that abortion is a woman's choice and the death of a pregnant woman including her unborn child is obviously against her wishes.

Of course it matters if you think the law is wrong.

What part do you disagree?

I'm interested in ideas not the law. 

Life begins at first sentient thought. Cellular replication begins at conception The difference being a cancerous tumor undergoes cellular replication, but not sentient thought.

RE: "Life begins at first sentient thought." - if that's your definition, I know at least a couple of adults who still wouldn't qualify.

@The half bird;

LOL

LOLWikipedia: LOL, an acronym for laughing out loud or laugh out loud, is a common element of Internet slang.

If you knew my son-in-law, you'd know what I mean --

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service