Lets say hypothetically that the Christian God was real.

Everything you have ever heard about god was true and Jesus came back to Earth.

What then?

How many atheist do you think would convert right away?

Would you fear God?

Would it even matter that god made itself known?

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be scared that such an evil, jealous, vindictive, angry, genocidal, and petty entity existed and would fear for all of humanity. Honestly, how could you ever trust such a prick to be benevolent to anyone?
Good answer
Thank you! That's exactly how I feel, and I've tried to express that to my believing family and friends. If that god exists, we're all f**ked no matter what we do. Ever read Job? Yeah. God has a track record of raking his most devout followers over the coals just to prove to his arch nemesis, Lucifer, that he can. I would never trust him!

And if he forced me to worship (like Christians believe he one day will), he still loses. Oh it's really impressive that an all-powerful being can force me to my knees; torture me into admitting his awesomeness. At the end of the day (or time), he's still just a cosmic bully with no real friends.
If the evidence was incontrovertable then of course I would convert. Ours is not a position of "belief" it's one of going where the evidence points to.

Ask a religious person a similar question: "What evidence would it take you to realize that god was a myth?" Or a simpler (and less loaded) version: "What would it take for you to end your faith in jesus/yahweh/muhammad/zeus?"

You'll soon see that it has little to do with evidence.
I have asked many religious people the same question. They always dont want to answer, but some give the the answer if god isn't real then what does it hurt in me believing. They say i would rather believe just to make sure.

As to what would it take for them to end their faith. If the evidence already given by science has not done it then it would take extreme measures to kill it completely. I guess maybe a alien encounter or the discovery of the fear gene which could be found in all believers and not in atheist.
Why convert though?
Being a realist, if my choice was "say this prayer or burn in hell forever", I'll bet I'd say the prayer. Call me weak. Modern religion's made-up god may be horrendous but, if a god actually appeared, I'd pretty much do what it takes to make the best of it.

That, by the way, was my initial conversion story. My kindergarten christian school teacher told the class about "salvation," with enough gory details to make an adult cringe. I was 5.

Lets see, "burn in hell forever" or "say this prayer."

It's one of the reasons why we can honestly say that religion poisons everything, especially young minds.
If the god I was raised to believe in turned out to be real, I would seriously tell him to go piss up a rope and get the hell out of my life. When I was a believer I used to say that I was walking around with a sign on my back that said "god; kick here"
How could he be so cruel to innocent people who were doing exactly what we were supposed to be doing according to our particular sect?
How could he come down here (as Jesus) and mislead people so horribly? Couldn't he have dropped a few hints about the germ theory of disease, instead of telling people that their illnesses & infirmities were caused by their sins?? Couldn't he have managed to leave some real evidence instead of just a few parlor tricks? (water into wine, calming a storm)?
The god of the bible is a jerk and I would want nothing to do with him
I often use the argument, when jesus walked on water, was just a parlor trick. I was in the navy for awhile and in the middle of the ocean in some places you can get out of the boat and walk on water. Sand dunes are all over the ocean so it would have been very easy for jesus to appear to walk on water. Changing water into wine, i never have seen the point in doing this. If jesus would have done that in front of me i would have just laughed and said is that all. All the miracles of the bible could easily be broken down and explained with modern science today. But that is saying they would have to be true which they are not.
Joann, I felt exactly the same way you did when I was a believer. I felt I was the butt of some big cosmic joke even though I was always trying really hard to do what I should. And you ask some very good questions! If Jesus were so hell-bent (pardon the expression) on proving he was the Son of God, he could've enlightened us in ways that might have actually helped us!

I wouldn't want anything to do with him either. 24 years was a enough for me.
When you believed did you with all your being? Was there always doubt? What was your turning point?
I did believe with all my being. What I doubted were the intentions of other Christians, and I doubted the need to be ultra legalistic. I never doubted the existence of God, however. What eventually led me to atheism was actually a desire to get closer to God. I definitely had questions; I was sure there were answers and that He would want me to find them. I couldn't imagine that God would've created me to be as analytical as I am just to squelch that huge part of me. If He knew the number of hairs on our head, and made us all unique, why not celebrate the gifts He gave us?

And... yeah... so, in that line of thinking, my Christianity was doomed. Once I allowed my self to ask, the whole thing fell apart like a house of cards.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 34 minutes ago. 134 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ed 4 hours ago. 19 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 7 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 13 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 17 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 5 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service