Check out what I read in Portable Atheist, from Bertrand Russell's An Outline of Intellectual Rubbish:

"There are logical difficulties in the notion of sin. We are told that sin consists in disobedience to God's commands, but we are also told that God is omnipotent. If He is, nothing contrary to His will can occur; therefore when the sinner disobeys His commands, He must have intended this to happen."

So if god is all powerful, we can't act contradictory to his commands, so their really isn't any sin.

What do you guys think of this?

Tags: all, commands, disobedience, god, omnipotence, powerful, sin

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that our individual awareness somehow draws the stuff and situations of our daily lives. And our "free will'  is to pick what we like and what we don't like. what we see as wrong and what we see as right. Or we can let go of the entanglements of desire and repulsion. and fully accept the present moment with all of its joy and horror.

If there is only one; Not god not man,but mind; then the notion of sin becomes one of local discord: i e the idea that something is not right and some things are. If you remove the duality of god and man, then you remove the idea of right, wrong, preferred, and not preferred. All opposites in the realm of phenomenon are cancelled by each other. All that remains is the one.  

This isn't how we experience life though.

... it is sufficient by analysis to comprehend that there is no entity which could have effective volition, that an apparent act of volition when in accord with the inevitable can only be a vain gesture and, when in discord, the fluttering of a caged bird against the bars of his cage. Wei Wu Wei

"Non volitional living is glad living."

I forgot to add Wei Wu Wei's ending.

Sorry, if it sounds a bit preachy.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service