Some people say there was heaven and hell, others think about soul, some also believes in reincarnation.. how about you? what do you think of it? what will you do if this is the end of everything?

Views: 798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

....and maybe there is a difference between believing "in god" as opposed to believing there is a god??

Reg - yes, having faith in something as opposed to taking something on faith. ???

We all go to munchkin land and eat fairy cake.

Is this anything like blue bubbleup?

Hi Micmic,

I gather you are exploring atheism, and you are trying to see how it might be for you.  I also understand English is not your first language and I think you are doing very well in putting your thoughts down.

This is about understanding for yourself.  Actually, I like the title of your post, because to me that is a statement and not a question.  Life is everything.  This is the only life you will experience, certainly as you exist, in this place and time.  Atheists are people who do not believe in gods. So this life is an amazingly precious one to us.  Irreplaceable, in fact.

Mostly atheism rules out any afterlife you will ever have heard of, because these all have some kind of god in them, judging and rewarding and punishing. Theists believe that If you are obedient in your life, there will be a lovely second life waiting for you with a god in the middle. 

Some atheists are open to there being some kind of evolved or scientific afterlife, but not with a reward/punishment crossroads. You see we have a problem with the 'judging' because we don't accept there's a judge (god), so any vague feelings an atheist would have about what happens after you die, would be more than likely based on the idea of a natural progression, not a designed one.

A 'soul' has a different meaning to every person because it is, by its very nature, a self-perception. 

But THIS is not the end of everything.  THIS is today, in 2012.  There will be next year, for you, and the year after that, and so on.  I hope you will have a long and happy life.  Let me ask you something.  Think of your absolutely most ideal day.  How many years do you think you could live that same day over and over again before you went crazy? 

If we stop learning, and we stop changing, what is left?  Boredom.  If we are in a place (heaven) where we are going to be perpetually happy, there is nothing to learn because there is no point doing a puzzle when you have the answers in the back of the book.  Now, how long do you think we would last, until we just screamed for change?  A hundred years?  I doubt I could manage ONE year. 

But that's OK, because I won't have to.  When I'm dead, my atoms will go spinning back into this planets recycling system, explode with the sun, and be scattered across the universe.  No insane repetition for me.

What a relief, eh?

Good points all, Strega, except for one: "If we are in a place (heaven) where we are going to be perpetually happy."

That's what most imagine when they think about going to "heaven," skipping down the streets of gold, hand in hand with their loved ones, but that's not why you're there - you're there for the sole purpose of praising god for all time. If you think endless perfect days could be maddening, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

That's my point, though.  Monotony of even the most delightful kind will still drive you insane.  (The praising stuff is just silly, nobody really expects they'll have to do things they wont like, or it wouldn't be heaven.)  It's just that that way leads to insanity or lobotomy, and you'd be praying your knees off to the god for the gift of oblivion.

Where I will be already.

Does one get a free lobotomy as you pass through the pearly gates? People should know this! LOL

What is the value of pearls in a gown with no pockets, in a place with no Walmart?

@Strega:

You'll be relieved to know the Bible makes no explicit mention of a soul that is immortal or exclusive to humans. That is, an inner human spirit that survives the death of the body.

The Hebrew word nephesh is typically translated into English as meaning soul, a word with connotations of immortality. But apparently in Hebrew the concept of a nephesh means something closer to "life force" or "well being" or even "consciousness", and carries no inherent association with endless life. That came much later on.

In mainstream Christianity, it seems the theological consensus is that your nephesh only attains immortality if you believe Jesus is God and your personal savior. Thus, being a non-believer, your nephesh will simply snuff out when you die. You will be spared the mind-numbing banality of joining God's personal squad of cheerleaders as a human pom-pom for all eternity.

Thank goodness.

Well that's a relief, Gallup.  Thought I was going to get crispy ducked in hell - what happened?  Fuel shortage, or was it getting a bit crowded?

Hey Micmic,

I'm possibly going to surprise some people here. To me atheism is a lack of belief in gods. As for the "mind" continuing to exist after "corporeal" death, I can't say its impossible or doesn't happen. But I can tell you this, gods have nothing to do with it. Its one of those things you can never really disprove so its fun to ponder. Buts that all you get out of it.

- kk

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 29 minutes ago. 3 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 12 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service