I was recently informed that atheists have no morals. Thoughts?

I was informed by a coworker who did not know I was atheist that atheists have no morals. After I nicely told him I was an atheist, he awkwardly looked at me and shut up. My supervisor got angry and told me I was being offensive. Apparently, it's okay to label an entire group of people as immoral, but it's not okay to simply state your lack of religion.

I would like to know what you say when people call you immoral or what you would day if someone said this to you. I'm just wondering in general, not necessarily in a work setting. I live in the Bible Belt, so this comes up in my life more often than one would expect.

*Sorry for any typos. I'm on my tablet.

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Curious. How did this come up in conversation?

Well, we were talking about tattoos and good tattoo artists in the area and I asked what could be done to change a cross tattoo into something else because I know someone who would like to do that. They said that sounded sacrilegious, so I said he's an atheist so it doesn't matter. Someone commented "he must have gotten the tattoo back when he had morals." And that's where it went downhill. Lol, kind of a silly story in my opinion. People are so quick to judge.

"Why?"

Response:

"Why?"

Response:

"Why?"

** The atheist is the immoralist

"Jesus said to his Jews, 'Love God as I love him, as his son, what are morals to us sons of God?'" Nietzsche Beyond Good and Evil section 164.

Whoever is different is frightening. The denier of the gods (going back well before xianity) brings disaster upon the entire group. If you're not prepared to be expelled from the herd, better be a hypocrite or develop a thick skin. Also, you'll be mistrusted -- your work relations will suffer. Being an atheist has unpleasant social consequences. There are plenty of god-proxies in the world who'll cheerfully use prejudice as a way to get ahead at your expense. Know what you're doing -- the US in particular is a very dangerous place for atheism.

RE: "the US in particular is a very dangerous place for atheism" - not nearly as much so as in Islamic countries. But as the "abnormal" becomes more common, it ceases to be abnormal.

Perhaps, but who wants to hang with a bunch of the lord's sheep anyways? A few free-thinking friends are way better than having to suppress a face-palm every few minutes.

Gets to the nitty gritty at about 30 minutes and at 40 ish minutes is the crux of it  maybe post this for your co worker friend ...

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 30 minutes ago. 134 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ed 4 hours ago. 19 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 7 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 13 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 17 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 5 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service