I was recently informed that atheists have no morals. Thoughts?

I was informed by a coworker who did not know I was atheist that atheists have no morals. After I nicely told him I was an atheist, he awkwardly looked at me and shut up. My supervisor got angry and told me I was being offensive. Apparently, it's okay to label an entire group of people as immoral, but it's not okay to simply state your lack of religion.

I would like to know what you say when people call you immoral or what you would day if someone said this to you. I'm just wondering in general, not necessarily in a work setting. I live in the Bible Belt, so this comes up in my life more often than one would expect.

*Sorry for any typos. I'm on my tablet.

Views: 1041

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"to which his head then exploded lol."http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/288.gif

Satan worshipers are christians (or beleivers in the other Abrahamic religions) who like to be bad.  Perhaps they've been so oppressed or harmed by the "good" side of their religion that they have to oppose the "good" side.

Yes I agree. They are also taught though(I'm not sure if its in the bible or not) that atheists are evil satan worshippers. Which is perfectly logical seeing as though we don't believe in a god or satan.

I would like to know what you say when people call you immoral or what you would day if someone said this to you.

You handled it just fine.

I'm just wondering in general, not necessarily in a work setting.

A work setting is a completely different story. On my "offensive" atheism, I would inform my employer-- in a letter written by my attorney if necessary-- that religious discrimination in the workplace is a violation of federal law under Civil Rights Act of 1964.

This supervisor is leaving in less than a month anyway, so I'm just going to leave it alone. It did really piss me off, but it's not worth it in my opinion.

This supervisor is leaving in less than a month anyway, so I'm just going to leave it alone. It did really piss me off, but it's not worth it in my opinion.

Your call of course.

On the advice of various attorneys over the years, I make it a point to go on the record whenever these events occur at work. I write down the details while they're still fresh in my mind and respectfully bring them to the attention of the company officers in a way that I can prove later on.

If you (or even another employee) encounters the same discrimination again you'll have a record of the abuse and the company's inaction to prevent it. Otherwise, when it gets worse and you do decide to push back, they'll just brush you off and claim it's a fluke.

We don't. We don't have Bible/Quran morals. We have rational thinking secular humanitarian morals..

Yep, I have no morals and I eat babies.

But then again I don't call myself an Atheist, I self-label myself as a Realistic Absolutist, and I love the taste of batter fried baby thighs...mmmm good. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery

The Bible contains several references to slavery. The Bible does not condemn slavery, but in fact supports the regulated practice of it, especially under the Old Testament, but also in the New Testament

Somehow we managed to figure out slavery was wrong despite god.

"My supervisor got angry and told me I was being offensive."

See they can 'never be wrong'!

A little like something my mother used to say about my father, 'when your right your right, when your wrong your right'. Their s--t don't stink....

Ogden Nash has some lines on that, James...

A Word to Husbands

To keep your marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you’re wrong, admit it;
Whenever you’re right, shut up.

This has only happened to me once. My assertion was that through empathy (golden rule) a person can figure out for themself what is right and wrong. The theist insisted that our knowledge of right and wrong comes from the bible. I disagreed. It became a case of nu-uh/uh-huh! And I believe I "lost." :-) I tend withdrawl from an argument when things become that immature...perhaps this is a bad quality?

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service