Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2577

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do you base this on?  To me, you sound no different than the people who make up shit about atheists being baby-eating, devil worshippers based off the three supposed atheists they've met.

While I'm not a proponent of 'spiritualism', I can't for the life of me understand why you would make such far reaching statements.  I'd like to see some resource beyond your own opinion backing up your statements.  Specifically, it's the 'mostly' that concerns me.  Where does that come from?  Is it all strictly anecdotal, or do you have something more substantial?

I'm sure is speaking from his own experience. Is that not good enough? It certainly is for me. I don't expect one to have done extensive studies to enter a conversation with said person.

the word "mostly"... bothers you? What if I said mostly all Christians believe what they have learned from religion is all that they will ever need to know? That would be from my own experience as well.

When it comes to the word "spirituality" MOST people are thinking of or pertaining to the spirit. Do I have to perform a study and have this scientifically proven or can we just agree that i'm right?

Point is, none of the conversations on this board would get very far if everything needed scientific backing before you could say it. And what would be the point in discussing anything.. we would be better off simply sharing links to scientific papers.

When it comes to the word "spirituality" MOST people are thinking of or pertaining to the spirit. Do I have to perform a study and have this scientifically proven or can we just agree that i'm right?

That depends which of the couple dozen definitions of "spirit" you're using this time.

The soul...

Because by literal definition that's what it implies.

I think you know the most common definition of spirituality is the "of or pertaining to the soul..." one I think you are making a point more towards that you think that is irrelevant.

I think you know the most common definition of spirituality is the "of or pertaining to the soul

No. I don't know that. In fact, I've NEVER heard anyone use the phrase "I'm spiritual" in any way that implies "of or pertaining to the soul".

If that were the case, "I'm spiritual but not religious" would literally mean "I'm of or pertaining to the soul, but not religious" which is a nonsensical sentence.

Spirituality is a very difficult to define term. People who self-label as a specific religion use it. Non-religious believers use it. Non-believers use it. Obviously, they all use it in very different ways. There is no "most common" definition amongst all the groups of people who use the term.

If that were the case, "I'm spiritual but not religious" would literally mean "I'm of or pertaining to the soul, but not religious" which is a nonsensical sentence.

Yeah, but the word tends to be used by people who aren't very logical, engage in magical thinking, and throw words around more for effect than to explain themselves.

Besides, taking people literally is only one of several ways to take them. I think you'll find that most people who are self-proclaimed spiritualists also believe in some quasi-religious and hare-brained concepts like astral projection and channeling, both of which require a concept of the soul (or a belief in ghosts). They also often bandy about half-baked notions borrowed from Eastern religions, even though they might claim not to be religious.

...the word tends to be used by people who aren't very logical, engage in magical thinking, and throw words around more for effect than to explain themselves.

This has not been my experience. All the "spiritual but not religious" people I know tend to be more logical, and better critical thinkers than the majority of highly religious people I know.

Also, "spiritualist" and "spiritualism" is not the same as spiritual, much in the same way "gnostic" is not the same as "gnosticism."

let's look at urbandictionary.com...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spirituality

The definition i'm referring to has 69 up votes and 23 down.. surprisingly enough some form of the definition you attribute to spirituality is listed on the site. Unsurprisingly there are only 5 upvotes of people who subscribe to it... regardless... at the very least. According to urbandictionary.com the definition we're referring to in this thread is reigning supreme. As I think we all know it would in any other scenerio anyway.

Same source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiritual

spiritual 118 up52 down
Adj: What people on dating sites describe themselves as because they are afraid that nobody wants to marry an atheist.
Guy: So, do you believe that Jesus is your Lord and Savior and died on the cross to absolve you of all of your sins so that you don't burn in an eternal pit of hellfire for ever and ever and ever? 
GirL Um... I'm spiritual.

Comical, but not soul related.

Kris, no idea why I can't respond to your post but... for the record I think that's my personal favorite entry.

This site hits a limit on the number of replies to replies.  If it was unlimited, it would just keep cascading down until it was a vertical row of single characters.

Off topic, but another interesting thing I found on urban dictionary was that Dawkins related definitions were mostly pejorative and ugly; however Hitchens related terms were mostly empowering (like hitchslap).  The last time I looked this up was well before Hitchens passed away though.  Trends may have changed since then.

You do realize that the top voted spirituality definition according to the "urbandictionary" demographic also includes "This use of the word is so vague that it can be redefined to mean anything, even something that is completely materialistic.The writer of this entry then adds a rant implying "spiritual people" are actually atheists who do not want to adopt the label.

Also, as Kris pointed out, the top definition (115 upvotes 53 down) for spiritual is...What people on dating sites describe themselves as because they are afraid that nobody wants to marry an atheist.

This seems to imply the urbandictionary demographic understands the MAJORITY of people calling themselves "spiritual" are not religious and simply do not want to avoid potential mates by labeling themselves atheists.

So drago, if we want to use urbandictionary as a source of wisdom, perhaps we should be discussing why so many atheists consider themselves "spiritual" instead of assuming MOST people who use the term are actually religious and are referring to belief in the soul, as this is the opposite of your opinion on what MOST people who use the term actually mean.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service