Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Religious and spiritual.. Religion is kinda spiritual ha? Religion = Shit, Spirituality = Shit. Is it possible to be a Spiritual Atheist?

Yes. Here is a youtube video I linked earlier called "My Spirituality as an Atheist."

Though most atheists probably find him a little too "tree hugging nature hippie" for their liking. Hence, the difference between spiritual and non-spiritual people.

I don't get the point of talking about any other kind of spirit than the one exemplified in terms like "school spirit" (school related enthusiasm, blind loyalty, and favoritism).

I see the belief in a "universal truth" as a symptom of perhaps unspoken religious belief. Universal truth seems to imply a universal mind, perhaps even a creator.

I also suspect that her definition of "breath" is something other than inhaling and exhaling, which also smells of a religious belief.

Religion also comes from the Latin word "Religare" which means " to bind". So in that sense maybe you and I and everyone on this site are religious. We are binded together here as Atheists!

My point is there are so many ways to skew meanings. But we all know what it really means. Spirit CAN imply just your personality... however there is almost ALWAYS (whether you choose to notice it or not) that implication of a possibility of that spirit coming from something higher.

There should be no "spirituality for non religious". It's like having a definition of God for the non religious.

The Latin religio was originally used to mean "reverence for God or the gods, careful pondering of divine things, piety" Prior to that, the etymology is obscure. But regardless, religion has a solid definition, unlike vague ill-defined words such as spiritual.

There should be no "spirituality for non religious". It's like having a definition of God for the non religious.

Plenty of non-religious people DO have a definition of God. I'm sorry drago, but the bottom line is that you don't get to decide which definitions people use or which words evolve new meanings. Language isn't stagnant. Second, there are a helluva lot of "spiritual but not religious" people out there and they're not going away no matter how much you disagree with their proper use of the English language.

I'm not trying to decide which definition of a word people use... i'm just making the point that the word spiritual to most people means of the soul. That simple fact isn't going to change.

People using the words soul and spiritual in almost any context annoys me because there is no such thing as "spirits" and "souls". Using the words in any context doesn't pay heed to that.

i'm just making the point that the word spiritual to most people means of the soul.

My anecdotal experience with countless "spiritual" friends would suggest otherwise.

As an amusing side note, my experience with atheists would suggest the definition atheists use to describe themselves often differs greatly from the definition of "atheist" put forth by theists.

I guess that "us" vs "them" mentality often tries to relabel the other side as the "us" sees fit. I try to avoid that trap.

i'm just making the point that the word spiritual to most people means of the soul.

...or ghost. There really isn't much of a difference between ghost, soul, or spirit, except that ghosts tend in mythology to inhabit places and bother people. They all involve the existence of something essential to a person that exists in a nonphysical (meaning not subject to physical law) and parallel reality or plane of existence.

Yes its annoying

Because a person that says im Spiritual is actually saying...

I'm more enlightened then everyone else and im so individually aware of things beyond anyone else's comprehension i cant even explain it properly.

It's condescending to religious and nonreligious alike.

I recently reconnected with one of my high school friends over dinner. She said she was "nonreligious, but spiritual." I asked her what that meant. She then kindly informed me that 1) the universe has a soul 2) it is watching us 3) the earth itself is a singular living organism, and 4) people are a disease, and AIDS is the earth's immune system. I said "Are you speaking metaphorically?" 

But of course, she wasn't. This whole "nonreligious, but spiritual" thing is just an excuse for people who want to wear the nonconformist label by rejecting mainstream religion, but still hold on to their personal share of batshit crazy. Why reject religion if you're going to then ascribe to equally untenable positions?

Totally. Irrational is as irrational does. This story of yours particularly disturbs me. People seem to think humanity is some sort of "unnatural" life form. That our technology is bad for the earth, which it can be. But why not be positive. Techno optimistic and realize that our science and technology are also what is going to save the earth. These spiritualists are often the people who will tell you that "science doesn't have all the answers" no shit...who said it does?

Mostly what "I'm not religious but I'm spiritual" really means is "I'm so bright that I made up my own religion. It's not one of the dumb religions other people believe that have names. It's MY PERSONAL religion."

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service