Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No.  If they are referring to a strictly naturalistic universe, I might explain to them that they are likely to be misunderstood, but that's about the extent of it.  I don't think it's an intrinsically harmful practice, even if I don't personally see any value in it.                                     

No, I wouldn't claim god = the universe because I am not a Pantheist. However, I also wouldn't suggest Pantheists find a new label for themselves because I actually understand the definition of God used in Pantheism is a valid one.

One of over a DOZEN definitions of spirit means soul. You are simply choosing to ignore all the other definitions because "soul" is your definition of preference. That's not to say your definition is incorrect. However, it is not more correct than any of the other definitions and you refuse to accept that.

How does connectedness imply a reference to "spirit"?

Because the energy that flows through all things is what connects them.

If you're going to explain how energy flowing through things justifies reference to "spirit," you left some premisses out.

Energy flows through wires, too.

Carbohydrates give us vitality.

When I read your comment, I immediately started singing "We are all connected; to each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe, atomically. And to the carbs, deliciously."

words of wisdom from some spiritual atheists.

we are all connected yes.. and energy never dies... that's fine. I'm glad to at least have some grasp of how people are considering "spirituality" to connectedness. Still, how does connectedness in this sense have ANYTHING to do with spirituality? The fact that we're connected I mean? I must tell you. Whatever answer you give ... it's quite a rare one.

spoken like a true spiritualist :)

Oh, so anyone who doesn't agree with you lives "in a box." I guess making fun of someone's age is a sign of being open minded. Oh, well.

It does seem that many non-religious people hear "spirit" and immediately think "soul" or "supernatural entities" therefore they think spiritual ALWAYS means religious and thus, the "spiritual but not religious" phrase makes no sense to them. Also, spirituality is frequently confused with Spiritualism.

But merriam webster has over a dozen definitions for spirit, only 2 of which reference the supernatural.

If we use the first definition "an animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms" then we realize spiritual need not have anything to do with ghosts or gods.

When I think of "spirituality," I think of feelings of connectedness with the universe. Maybe religious people feel this way too, though they only know how to articulate it in terms of god or jesus (or whatever).

Beautifully put. I couldn't agree more. Though I've known plenty of religious people who are not spiritual. They are not moved by sermons and they feel nothing when they pray to themselves (which is not much different than meditating). They don't stand in awe at this interconnectedness to the rest of the universe. Many religious people simply go through the motions of religion because they think they should or because they fear eternal damnation.

So if there are religious people who are not very spiritual, there can certainly be spiritual people who are not religious.

Are you talking about THE FORCE? thats a movie dude...

No. He's talking about the fact that the hivemind of humanity has finally evolved to the point where we're able to begin to piece together the mystery of how the hell we got here. Through this knowledge, we're able to see the interconnectedness of all things, both living and nonliving. Life is a seemingly endless chain of causes and effects - an unbroken thread stretching back nearly 14 billion years to oblivion. Some of us find that interconnectedness profoundly meaningful and awe inspiring.

Others think LOL u mean like THE FORCE?

Yes drago. Just like the force.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service