Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me and others have explained it in this thread quite a few times but basically because the use of those words in that regard directly support a religious belief.

Let me ask you again.. would you use the word GOD to describe the natural universe? And if someone were to do so would you question them? And if you WOULD question that. Why wouldn't you question someone using the words "spirit" and "soul" to describe "their personality" or "their connectedness to the universe"

The word Spirit means Soul... that is the number one most likely meaning  anyone thinks of when you use that word.

You've said it, but it seems to be a position supported by little more than personal experience and opinion.  That's not to say it is incorrect; it's just not compelling.

So what about you personally Kris, if someone tells you they believe in God... but then later explains to you that they consider God to be "the universe" would you not prefer them to or perhaps ask them to reconsider calling it God?

No.  If they are referring to a strictly naturalistic universe, I might explain to them that they are likely to be misunderstood, but that's about the extent of it.  I don't think it's an intrinsically harmful practice, even if I don't personally see any value in it.                                     

No, I wouldn't claim god = the universe because I am not a Pantheist. However, I also wouldn't suggest Pantheists find a new label for themselves because I actually understand the definition of God used in Pantheism is a valid one.

One of over a DOZEN definitions of spirit means soul. You are simply choosing to ignore all the other definitions because "soul" is your definition of preference. That's not to say your definition is incorrect. However, it is not more correct than any of the other definitions and you refuse to accept that.

How does connectedness imply a reference to "spirit"?

Because the energy that flows through all things is what connects them.

If you're going to explain how energy flowing through things justifies reference to "spirit," you left some premisses out.

Energy flows through wires, too.

Carbohydrates give us vitality.

When I read your comment, I immediately started singing "We are all connected; to each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe, atomically. And to the carbs, deliciously."

words of wisdom from some spiritual atheists.

we are all connected yes.. and energy never dies... that's fine. I'm glad to at least have some grasp of how people are considering "spirituality" to connectedness. Still, how does connectedness in this sense have ANYTHING to do with spirituality? The fact that we're connected I mean? I must tell you. Whatever answer you give ... it's quite a rare one.

spoken like a true spiritualist :)

Oh, so anyone who doesn't agree with you lives "in a box." I guess making fun of someone's age is a sign of being open minded. Oh, well.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 6 minutes ago. 103 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service