Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spirituality without a spirit?

It's not the same as regular thinking. It focuses on reflection (edit: and contemplation). Hence the confusion.

No, meditation is not spiritual, it's personal.  Meditation can either be associated with a religious practice or not, but basically it's just about emptying your mind of conscious thought in order to be more receptive to your subconscious; a way to let go of your "self" and just be at one with the natural process.  There need not be a spiritual component.  In fact, you might say that consciousness of a spiritual objective during meditation would nullify the entire process.

On the spirituality wiki page, it says spiritual practices include meditation. The dictionary calls meditation "spiritual introspection" among other things. My claim was that many people consider meditation a spiritual practice. You may not, but many people, and at least one definition in the dictionary, disagree with you.

Also, many people confuse spirituality with spiritualism. Spirituality need not involve ghosts or gods.

Jewelz, I will recognize your point that some people use the word in the sense not meaning of the soul (however, i've never met these people and I speak to many people about souls on a daily basis, i don't live in an area where I have to refrain from speaking openly)... However, spirituality to most people means of the soul. Spirit and soul mean the same thing. Not just in my definition. In most people's definition. The definition these people you speak of who use it in a sense of explaining their connectedness with the universe, etc.. are using the word with a scapegoat definition.The word spirit almost ALWAYS implies a soul. At least enough to warrant others and myself in this thread not appreciating the use of the word.

If I was to meet someone who used the word spirituality in a sense other than soul i'd simply point this out to them. If they were to choose to understand my grief. Great. If not... that's their call.

I will recognize your point that some people use the word in the sense not meaning of the soul

You also need to recognize people often use the word "soul" in a different sense as well.

however, i've never met these people and I speak to many people about souls on a daily basis

I'm not sure what work you do that involves talking about souls all day, but after spending the last 15 years amongst artsy hippies and massage therapists, I assure you there are plenty of people who use the word spiritual in a sense that has nothing to do with your definition of soul.

Yeah, a lot of these people believe they can "astral-plane" while meditating. There may be more rational mediators who do it for piece of mind but probably most of them believe there is some kind of connection with the soul happening.

And there are atheists who believe in ghosts, psychics, astrology, and bigfoot. I fail to see what one label has to do with the other.

All of the major religions are founded on the idea of the soul... without the idea of the soul you have no possibility of believing in any of these major religions. (Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, Hindu..) Including most supernatural nonsense.

The SOUL is the real problem in my eyes. It's the source of irrationality, the source of the belief. People believe they will "see their parents again", "live forever", their "energy will never die" etc... The religion is just the mythology of this irrational belief. The soul has the same amount of evidence as God and promotes the idea of God.

Many people believe that anyone who says they are atheist but believe in the soul aren't really atheists...

In my opinion religion FORMED from this natural fear that early man had of death... This coping mechanism called the soul BECAME religion.

...anyone who says they are atheist but believe in the soul aren't really atheists.

The no true Scotsman card is fun to play, but atheism is a lack of believe in a god/gods. That is all. People who think otherwise often have atheism confused with skepticism.

Indeed.  I practice and teach tai chi, and refer to it with my students as "moving meditation".  While I shy away from the spiritual label, I can understand why people apply that label.  Nevertheless, the mental states that result are eminently teachable and require no supernatural baggage.

I have yet to figure out why so many people find this annoying, but you're certainly not alone. This is a common opinion amongst skeptics.

When used by a theist, this phrase often means they reject religious dogma and organized religion which, in my opinion, is a step forward from the alternative. And when used by an atheist, it need not be associated with anything supernatural.

Carl Sagan wrote...

"Spirit" comes from the Latin word "to breathe." What we breathe is air, which is certainly matter, however thin. Despite usage to the contrary, there is no necessary implication in the word "spiritual" that we are talking of anything other than matter (including the matter of which the brain is made) or anything outside the realm of science. On occasion, I will feel free to use the word. Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by kris feenstra 8 minutes ago. 156 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.