Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find it more annoying when people tell me that I'm a really spiritual person!

Dude! I get the same all the time, and I really have no clue why they'd say that. I suppose they confuse thoughtful with spiritual.

hahaaaa that's awesome.. I don't think anyone's ever told me that

Translated: I believe in bullshit, but not the same bullshit as everyone else.

haha

i was bored at work today, so...

I call it "hipster theists".

Thomas Jefferson said that about himself. He didn't go to church, but he did believe in God and was intrigued by the wonders of 'God's work".. 

I agree. I am English but have quoted Jefferson often when arguing with American Christians claiming that the US was founded on Christianity. I was so disappointed recently to learn his attitude towards slavery and race was not equally enlightened. Still, he was a man of his time. Darwin believed much the same and also that women were naturally inferior.

Sadly it seems that most of history's most influential people had darker sides, some more than others. At least by today's standards anyway.

I've been a fan of Jefferson since even years ago when I was Christian. Everyone's flawed- you can't be expected to see every bias in your society at once. But he was still an amazing man.

@Eoganacht - we all have darker sides, but some of us are closer to the spotlight than others. We expect our heroes to be superhuman and are often disappointed to learn that they're just like us.

Is that version of the Bible available to buy? I'm curious..

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 4 minutes ago. 12 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 4 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 8 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 17 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service