Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it is available on Amazon!

Fantastic, thank you! :D

thanks!!

It's annoying, but kind of funny, too. It's as if the word/concept of religion has acquired enough of a negative reputation that people don't want to be associated with it. The same thing goes for "I'm not religious, I have a personal relationship with Jesus" and "Atheism is a religion"--the latter is meant to be an insult, of course. Religion is losing its respectability, and the religious are helping it right along.

Atheism is not a religion, its a personal relationship with reality.

I always see "spiritual but not religious" offered on various sites as an alternate option. I think it can be true technically. I mean, would we say that someone who believes in astral projection or something but does not have a specific creed or view on whether God exists, etc. is religious? 

I agree. I think being spiritual depends on the definition. A lot of people might meditate and not believe in a god but would call themselves spiritual people.

What does meditation (thinking) have to do with spirit or a spirit?

Meditation is considered a spiritual practice.

Thinking is spiritual? How?

I'd say it's not, not necessarily.  Depends on how you meditate/what you're thinking about.  Most people probably assume it has to be religious because it's associated with Buddhism, which many Americans consider a religion. 

I doubt most people who meditate would consider it "just thinking." I agree there's nothing inherently spiritual about thinking, but many people, both religious and non-religious, call meditation a spiritual practice. It need not involve gods or religion, hence the "spiritual but not religious."

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 27 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 8 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 18 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service