Anyone else know people who say this and find it really annoying?

Views: 2483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it is available on Amazon!

Fantastic, thank you! :D

thanks!!

It's annoying, but kind of funny, too. It's as if the word/concept of religion has acquired enough of a negative reputation that people don't want to be associated with it. The same thing goes for "I'm not religious, I have a personal relationship with Jesus" and "Atheism is a religion"--the latter is meant to be an insult, of course. Religion is losing its respectability, and the religious are helping it right along.

Atheism is not a religion, its a personal relationship with reality.

I always see "spiritual but not religious" offered on various sites as an alternate option. I think it can be true technically. I mean, would we say that someone who believes in astral projection or something but does not have a specific creed or view on whether God exists, etc. is religious? 

I agree. I think being spiritual depends on the definition. A lot of people might meditate and not believe in a god but would call themselves spiritual people.

What does meditation (thinking) have to do with spirit or a spirit?

Meditation is considered a spiritual practice.

Thinking is spiritual? How?

I'd say it's not, not necessarily.  Depends on how you meditate/what you're thinking about.  Most people probably assume it has to be religious because it's associated with Buddhism, which many Americans consider a religion. 

I doubt most people who meditate would consider it "just thinking." I agree there's nothing inherently spiritual about thinking, but many people, both religious and non-religious, call meditation a spiritual practice. It need not involve gods or religion, hence the "spiritual but not religious."

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com