Yes I'm not an atheist, I'm a Christian and I came here to debate.
Does anyone see any faults with Christianity?
This seems like a very logical good ste and I'm exited to talk with you all.
:)

Views: 3287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, but history seems to prove that he resurrected. due to the view on crusifiction, the response of the roman government, and the jump in Christianity afterward. not to mention writings around the time from non biblical sources.

i dont understand how that becomes your problem in a provable religion.

@Nathaniel:

"i dont understand.."

It's obvious.  That's why your doG sent you to us (for a proper education). ;)

More like a proper ass whoopin', haha.

Hi! You do give quite a wide smattering of reasons you believe, and I won’t try to address all of them. I am curious, though, that you list fulfilled prophecies as one of your big reasons for believing. It’s ironic because seeing the emptiness of prophecies was one of the first things that got me to seriously question my former faith.

This wasn’t from reading atheist commentaries or critiques; this was from reading the Bible myself with my own eyes. I was in the passage in Acts, when they are talking about replacing Judas.

In those days Peter stood up among the brothers (the company of persons was in all about 120) and said, 16 “Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. 17 For he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry.” …. “For it is written in the Book of Psalms,

“‘May his camp become desolate,
    and let there be no one to dwell in it’;

and

“‘Let another take his office.’

I had always just read past those verses before, not really considering where that prophecy of Judas had come from, but one day I decided to follow the links in my cross-reference Bible and actually see where in the Psalms this betrayal and loss of place had been prophesied. (Again, I did this not to poke holes in the Bible, but because I wanted to understand it better and to enrich my faith.)

The first one, my Bible told me, was from Psalm 69. So I read the whole thing; it’s a cry to God for him to save the singer from some kind of calamity, and from evil men. The singer asks God to “pour out wrath” on these enemies of his—and that their “camp would become desolate.” That’s it. That’s where Peter said the “prophecy” came from. It was a lament of David towards enemies of his…not a statement about something that would happen in the future.

The next one is from Psalm 109, and I was shocked to discover it’s exactly the same thing. It’s not in a passage talking about the future. It’s not in a passage talking about the Messiah, or one talking about things to come. It doesn’t say anything about a traitor at all, or about someone who would be considered “one of us”, or about how someone who once served the Messiah would be replaced. Instead, it’s another lament. David is being attacked, and he prays that God will harm his enemies. “Let another take his office,” is a curse David hurls at his attacker, not a prophecy about the future. I didn’t have one to check at the time, but online commentaries confirm this explanation of the text.

Peter completely used this verse backwards. Do you think that it’s okay to cherry-pick verses out of the Bible and make them say whatever you want them to say? Or do you think it’s important to read the verse in the original context? Because I was always taught in church, in school, in missionary training to read the Bible in its context and not be fooled by tricks to make it say something it did not. Yet here is Peter calling up a couple random curses from the Psalms and calling them a prophecy about Judas when they clearly are not.

I was surprised when I learned this…and later I began to wonder if other Biblical prophecies worked the same way? 

I’m not going to try to go through 2,000 prophecies that you claim were fulfilled. But I’d ask you to reconsider some of your favorite ones. Go back to the original text yourself—the original book of the Bible where the “prophecy” was made. Don’t just believe a Bible scholar who told you the prophecy was fulfilled, and don’t just believe the author of whatever New Testament book who says this is a prophecy that was fulfilled; go back and look for yourself.

One more example, probably the most famous prophecy about Jesus is that a ‘virgin will be with child, and give birth to a son’. But where is that prophecy made? Look it up in Isaiah 7 the whole story. The king of Judah was being attacked and sought the Lord. Isaiah prophesied that he would be saved from these enemies, and even gave the King a sign so that he would know this would take place. The sign was that a woman would give birth to a child, and that before he was old enough to know right from wrong—that is, before he is even fully grown—those two enemy kings the King was so fearful of would be dead. It’s a prophecy about a child who is to be born extremely soon—right away, even—giving the king a clear time frame to know how soon his enemies will be defeated. Even this very conservative “answers” website admits this (but then claims the prophecy had ‘dual meaning’.) It also admits that the word “virgin” here is a mistranslation—the word actually meant “young woman”.

This is probably the biggest prophecy about Jesus’s birth. If it is so untrustworthy, what shape are the other prophecies in?   

Hi Physeter- good to hear from you again!

Physeter!!!! Buddy pal friend! Glad you're back! We've missed you!!!

Aww thanks ^_^

You misunderstand, in this period everything was based off Jesus, they were relating everything to him, same case in psalms 10. it was normal after what had happened with Christ, peter especially writes like this. is that really a reason not to belive?

Jesus is a dead rebel mammal.  It says so here:   http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/jesus-is-a-dead-rebel-mammal

But in answer to your original question, do you see any faults with Christianity… I think the entire story of salvation is nonsensical. The idea that we can’t get to heaven, and we ALL deserve hell, just by the simple misfortune of being born, is too outlandish for me to believe. Somehow I’m supposed to believe that through Adam we all are sinners, we have no choice; but to be saved from this sin we didn’t choose we have to make a CHOICE to follow Jesus and devote our lives to him? It’s bizarre. If we are responsible for ourselves, then God should let us be responsible for ourselves. If everyone on Earth would be punished for Adam’s sin, no matter what they choose, then everyone on Earth should be saved by Jesus’s sacrifice, whether or not they choose to ‘believe’ in him. And if you tell me that is what you believe, you stand in conflict with all major Christian denominations plus the entire historical teaching of the Christian church.

Faults in Christianity? You teach that being gay is a sin—that someone is evil and dirty simply because of the way they fall in love. I don’t care for a minute if you personally claim you don’t “hate” gay people, you think they just have a “mental illness.” Maybe I tell you that I don’t hate Christians, I just think their Christianity is a mental illness; and I love them so much I want to treat their illness until they are cured of their delusional belief and become atheists like me. Would you feel welcomed or loved by that kind of “love”?

Whether you “hate” gay people or not, Christianity created our society which until very recently killed them, castrated them, forced them into hiding, and forced them to hate themselves. It’s Christians today who are still fighting to go back to those days. That alone is not the only fault I see with Christianity, but it’s a really big fault.

+1

The Rapture story was the deal breaker for me--incredibly inhumane--the few yrs I spent in an Evangelical Christian church.  But none of it ever made any sense to me.  Too illogical.

P.s., why did God give Eve a va j j?.........So Adam would talk to her.  OUCH!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service