Hello, everyone. I'm Derp. I have been lurking on TA for about 6 months or so and have finally decided to join in on some of the fun. My story is probably pretty typical with a few slight variations, but from the posts that I have read, I think that you all understand where I come from.

With that being said, I want to thank you all for being a place that I can go to read about ideas. I desire nothing but the truth, and it is my goal to represent that desire. If I am wrong about something, please correct me immediately and site any sources that you might have on the subject.

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Derp McChuckles. Awesome nick.

Hi, Derp!

I grew up in the Mennonite/Anabaptist tradition – that’s pacifists. My grandpa served in one of those public service camps instead of going to war when he was drafted way back when. When I became an atheist, and realized Jesus wasn’t there to take care of things, it kind of set me back. I’m actually more patriotic now that I was as a Christian, because before I saw nationalism as a form of idolatry.

I think there are some atheist pacifists on here, as well. I’m trying to remember who I was talking to about this. I agree with what you say about the necessary evil of war and nationalism.

I feel my loyalty is owed to the human race first, and to the world second. I think my country probably has to come third on that list.

@Physeter,

I apologize for the delayed reply, and I appreciate the comment.

I can totally understand the reasoning behind why you would become more patriotic than before you were an atheist. Had I been in you situation, I would have probably done the same. I can also agree, to a point. I only name nationalism as the #2 problem on my list because sometimes I can be guilty of thinking too far ahead. I should revise my post/comment. If all religions were gone completely, the next major threat to peace among mankind would be nationalism (I think I worded that the right way). Would that be something you might agree with, or do you have anything to add?

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service