The case started in 2010 when Brianna Hawk and Kayla Martinez, then ages 12 and 13, challenged their school's ban on 'I love boobies' bracelets after they were suspended for wearing them on Breast Cancer Awareness Day. (The girls are shown wearing the bracelets below.)

The Easton Area School District claimed the bracelets are lewd and disruptive, and should be banned from school. School Superintendent John Reinhart said the bracelets are "cause-based marketing energized by sexual double-entendres."

In August, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court's decision in favor of the girls, saying the district didn't prove its case. On Tuesday the school board voted 7-1 to appeal the court's decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.
(source)

What's your take? Is the 'I love boobies' slogan-- a highly successful public relations campaign-- really crude and offensive in a sexual way? Is this a school board overreacting to two adolescent girls promoting breast health? Are these two girls knowingly taking advantage of the slogan to "disrupt" the school?

What do you think the Supreme Court will say?

Tags: Court, I, Supreme, boobies, love, schools

Views: 599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No matter what the Supreme Court says I will still love boobies. They will have my full support.

With both hands?

Oh me too, definately a big fan of boobies, my own, my wife's all are wonderful for many reasons, even the one You allude to !

Distraction can be the enemy of education. For example, schools where the students wear uniforms almost uniformly (pun intended) produce better students. Ditto for unisex schools. In that sense, most public schools are doing it wrong. 

BTW, I can hear some complaining about school uniforms that they promote a sort of military mentality. No, what they actually do is help eliminate a lot of that pecking order bullshit that goes on in schools which has kids coming home begging their parents to get them the latest trendiest styles. Personal display in the form of what kids wear is a huge distraction in schools.

And let's not even get into the sexual distractions clothing can promote.

The Invisible Man says:

"For example, schools where the students wear uniforms almost uniformly (pun intended) produce better students."

I demand evidence of this and proof that there are no other conditions which can be contributing to better students.

Something I agree with. In our schools there is standard uniform for all, bought from the school and the only way a person could really show off is maybe the shoes they wore but that didn't amount to much when you think about. There was no way one would bother their parents for the trendiest wear.

That school board should stop being so hang up, they would do with a beer. What is wrong with loving boobies, before I read this article I thought they were booby traps. What that school board have a problem with a wrist band about other body parts for example I love legs

Please tell me there is at least one sane person in that school board who can see the silliness of the case

Please tell me there is at least one sane person in that school board who can see the silliness of the case

There is just one member on the school board who voted against the original appeal and against continuing the appeal to the supreme court. The rest decided, with the support of the school superintendent, that local educational tax dollars are best spent on legal fees to eradicate boobie bracelets.

So are the priorities of the board of the Easton Area School District of Pennsylvania, USA (save one).

Arrogant people playing with tax payer money a never-ending problem in America.

Many fundamentalist xians have run as stealth candidates for school boards. Only after they are elected do they identify their causes, such as putting creationism into the science curriculum. They often create such havoc that the voters start paying attention and replace them in the next election.

To see one case they lost, google some of the following words: intelligent design, Dover Pennsylvania schools. The federal court judge, though he was appointed by George W. Bush, destroyed the attempt by school board xians to put ID into the biology course and in the next election the voters did their part.

To see more, follow the school cases on the websites FFRF.ORG, AU.ORG, ACLU.ORG, and especially NCSE.COM (The Oakland California-based National Committee for Science Education. NCSE would be a .ORG but someone else grabbed the ORG first. It's a nonprofit, many of whose contributors are science teachers in both colleges and secondary schools.)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service