So I did one of those read the Bible in a year plans, out of academic curiosity.

And as I'm sure will come as a surprise to no one, it did not bring me closer to becoming a believer. Further from it, if possible.

Who else here has read the Bible? I think it's great to study as a piece of ancient literature, but certainly not something to live by. (I mean, yikes.)

Views: 739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just flew in from Miami...

...and boy are my arms tired.

(Sorry...couldn't resist. As soon as I saw the words "I Just Finished" I was reminded of the old joke which I probably first heard on the old Ed Sullivan Show.)

"Oh, flew in from Miami Beach B.O.A.C.
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was on my knee
Man I had a dreadful flight"

@ Beth:

Sounds like you will be needing a Brain Cleanse.  Just $49.99 on the Internet.

Is it paleo?

Sorta, it's copious amounts of vanilla ice cream and hot fudge. :)

Good enough for me!

Come by tomorrow don't forget to bring $49.99.  See you then. :)

Who can even make heads or tails out of that arcane crap?  I've tried many times and couldn't  get through it without falling asleep in Matthew.

You think Matthew is bad? Try Numbers.

Begatting is a bit much in general.

I have to confess multiple readings of many bibles...but I read everything, cereal boxes, bibles, etc...I can't help it.

If you can slog through the mire though...King James was probably best as literature at least.

My overall impression, of "the bible"  is that a continuity editor would have been a great idea if the writers had been a bit more inspired about this as a finished product.

Instead, we have all sorts of bizarre things and incongruities.  

For example, in the a fore mentioned begatting sequences, we have people living for hundreds of years, and having kids into their forth and fifth centuries of life....and then a scene where they spend a chapter on ONE couple laughing at god for implying that he would give them a child even though they were only in their 90's or so.

As in, if everyone lived longer, why was that scene there?

It was obviously the older of the scenes, and, later, when someone realized that from Adam/Eve to "cities" their kids founded, and then from  Noah, to being slaves in Egypt, and so forth, there was not enough time to get enough people....and time was missing.

So, they edited in hundreds of years to their ages and made them give birth for hundreds of years each to try to catch up.

Take the Noah forward years...Shem for example is 100 2 years AFTER the flood, and has kids...and Abraham is born ~ 292 years after the flood......and almost all of the ancestors are still alive and breeding.

Yet at ~ 99 or so, Abraham can't believe he could have kids, that's RIDICULOUS!

Obviously, the cutsey "I'm too old to have kids, god" banter was old lore....and the later editions didn't think to "correct that".

Cain slew Abel...So, we have Adam and Eve as the only people on earth, they have these two boys, and the boys fight over who gets the land? Really?

And, to punish the MURDERER, he is marked, not for death, to make sure no strangers accidentally kill HIM...Really?

There's like 3 people on earth, mom, dad, and Cain...Abel is dead, so, who is the mark for....and, what "stranger" would know what it meant anyway?

Its like a family, that at home, wears name tags so they don't lose track of who they are...really?

Its just all so bone headed.

:D

But was it apparent about all these age discrepancies while reading the bible, or did you have to make some sort of chart or list to graph their ages to figure it out?

Also, if Adam and Eve were the first (and presumably only) people on earth and had 2 sons, where did Cain's wife come from??

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service