Hi again folks.

I've had this TIME thing stuck in my head for years and I've no real idea how I should deal with it. So I thought I might find some sort of release for it now among people who would understand where I am coming from. So here goes.

We as humans have embraced this time frame we live in by year in the form of B.C. and A.D.

I despise this form because it pretty much centers around a stupid story and now the whole world depicts AGE by those very constraints.

What's anyone's opinion on this or do you think I'm just being silly?

I'm often wondering what the year actually is, and how it could, or subsequently should be properly represented in our modern world.

After all we know it's really not 2012 as such.

I dunno...rip away at me if you must. I can take it. However I'd much prefer intelligent input. LOL.

Views: 595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is also weird in the extreme are the facts that we use Roman gods for month names, and Norse gods for day names. How does that happen?

Maybe this will interest you - it seems to be an explanation of the segments of time we label - I skimmed and didn't find the 'why' though.

I recall, as a kid in elementary school, wondering why Wednesday had a silent "d" in it, but now, I realize that that is because it was originally, "Woden's Day," just as Thursday is "Thor's Day," and Friday is "Fria's Day" - poor, naughty Loki didn't get a day, maybe that's what he's so pissed about.

Of course, Saturday is named after Saturn, Sunday after Sol, and Monday, after the moon (even in Spanish, "Lunes" is named after Luna). Tuesday is also Norse, named after "Tiw," the Norse god of single combat.

But as to why four out of seven days are named after Norse mythology, I can't say, anymore than I can you why Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople, been a long time gone, old Constantinople - why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks --

WAIT... You don't pronounce the "d" in "Wednesday"? Next you'll be telling me you don't pronounce the "g" "foreign" or the "p" in "pneumonia"!!!

No, just the "d" in "Wednesday," everything else, knock yourself out - please!

The Roman month Februarius was named after the Latin term februum, which means purification, via the purification ritual Februa held on February 15 (full moon) in the old lunar Roman calendar.

There is a whole wiki page devoted to explaining February, chuckles.  Here!

Maybe that's because it's "February" --

There's only one "y" in February.

But the "y" is substituted for the "r." Feb-roo-ary becomes Feb-yoo-ary. I'm one of the minority who actually pronounces the month strictly phonetically as it is spelled. I used to say Wed-nez-day but gave up after a while. That one is so far gone there's no point.

I say Wedn'sday still, but not because I believe it is correct; I just like thinking of Odin when I say it.

There is a limit to persistence in writing versus pronunciation, naturally. Gloucester is 'Gloster', Lieutenant is 'leftenant', and Worcestershire sauce is 'wo*mumble* sauce' ('cause there is no god damn way it's 'wuustərsher' or 'wuustər').

and featheringstonehaugh is 'fanshaw'.   No, seriously!

Holo - "library" is another of those --

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 9 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service