Hi again folks.

I've had this TIME thing stuck in my head for years and I've no real idea how I should deal with it. So I thought I might find some sort of release for it now among people who would understand where I am coming from. So here goes.

We as humans have embraced this time frame we live in by year in the form of B.C. and A.D.

I despise this form because it pretty much centers around a stupid story and now the whole world depicts AGE by those very constraints.

What's anyone's opinion on this or do you think I'm just being silly?

I'm often wondering what the year actually is, and how it could, or subsequently should be properly represented in our modern world.

After all we know it's really not 2012 as such.

I dunno...rip away at me if you must. I can take it. However I'd much prefer intelligent input. LOL.

Views: 579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Silly? Maybe a little. After all over 70% of the world doesn't believe in Jesus Christ and no-one's made any great effort to change the way we depict the year. People don't like change, its a convenient 4 digit number. Think of all the fuss the Millennium 'bug' caused - change year 0 to a date 10000 or 10000 years ago would be a nightmare not to mention who gets to choose!

There are many other measurements that made sense at the time but could have better solutions but will not change because its too difficult - 60 minutes in an hour/24 hours a day,yards/miles,lbs/oz etc.

Pick a number, any number, call that the year number, what does it matter?

Look at what it replaced. The Xth year of the reign of Y. That isn't so bad if it is you and your country and your king but try to keep track of dates, what happened when in a kingdom far,, far away keeping track of years in the same way? There probably be someone with the full time job of keeping track of how one event related to another.

But even with the simplicity it took something like four centuries to catch on. There was no year 1000 panic because no one used the numbering system a century and a half or whatever later.

You're being silly.  It's just a human convention.   Why not complain about the names of the months?

However, there is an alternative which is often used in academic circles.  It's B.C.E. (Before the Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era) to replace B.C. (Before Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini).

Agreed. Even for those of us who no longer observe religion in the present, it is a part of our past and our cultural heritage. If it's ultimately just a namesake at this point in time, it is of marginal concern, if any.

Celestial bodies, days of the week, city names, scientific discoveries, ships and other vessels, etc. often reference religion/ mythology. I doubt anyone alive thinks, for example, that Corpus Christi, Tx actually is (or houses) the body of Christ. No one ever did; it's just the name of the city. Probably has something to do with the Eucharist.

Anno Domini, Vulgar Era, Common Era, and even Christian Era (had it become standard hundreds of years ago): just can't say I care.

Satanists define the current era to begin at the formation of their church. They are now in about year 50 or so I think. Probably doesn't really help you.... just interesting.

Various cultures have various dating methods.  It's all arbitrary and capricious  It all boils down to common usage.

As someone else pointed out, it's a convention, and most if not all conventions are absurd, if not meaningless. This is because they result from a stipulation. We can't have an exact year based on anything meaningful, like the year the Earth formed (it formed slowly over a long long time) or the day the year the first true human strode the Earth (how could one possibly decide what the first true human was, much less settle on a year). So, we accept stipuations.

Even when there is a reason for a stipulation, such as the way the centigrade scale was decided, it is still a stipulation.

There are many such questions: why is a second as log as it is? who decided there should be 60 seconds in a minute, and why? Ditto for hours? Obviously, days and years have an objective basis, but why is a week 7 days and not 5 or 10, which would seem to satisfy our preference for decimal math?

I've had similar questions stumbling around in my head. Before 'C', (Before C-AD, etc) how did those living their lives treat the passage of time?
It is an interesting subject. I've been fascinated by time-traveling stories since I was a kid. But really, when should we start the measure of time? Should it start from the moment a future human-ancestor crawled out of the mud, the first time humanoids used a tool,  or the first time man thought to take note of the passage of time? I don't know that cows and orangutans worry about what year it is, should we?

I remember from some college course I took a few decades ago that the entire concept of "progress" wasn't around until sometime in the Renaissance. In other words, until then people didn't get that inventions and improvements made things better or at least different over time. In 300 AD, for example, nobody was thinking "Well, at least nowadays we have the wheel so we don't have slide heavy objects from point A to point B," nor did they ask themselves "I wonder what those poor saps did before someone discovered/invented/controlled fire?"

So, I wonder what "time" even meant to them?

In the Hebrew calendar, it is currently the year 5773.

In the Japanese calendar, we're in the year Heisei 25.

In the Thai calendar, it's 2556.

In the Republic of China's calendar (Minguo calendar), it's the year 102. 

In the Islamic calendar, it's 1434 AH.

In the Ethiopian calendar, it's 2005.

In the Danung calendar (from Korea) it's the year 4346.

Really, it's all about what reference point you want to choose as your starting point. If people decided to use the Holocene Calendar ( a proposed calendar that begins at the estimated beginning of the Holocene era ), it's the year 12013. Or there is the Tranquility Calendar, which begins at the moment the world Tranquility was uttered in the famous words "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed". We're in 44 AT now.

If you really want to get technical, it's 13.75 -- you figure out the rest of the decimals -- billion years from the BB, but it's not easy to get a digital watch to track that.

And adding in error bars of a couple million years makes it really hard to be on time for anything.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 52 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service