I'll give you guys a brief background to this story...

I have been working at a place for almost 5 months.
It's my first job.
Everyone there is really religious and seriously talk about religious things every single day.
The problem I'm having is that they play this Christian radio station all day on this small radio they have in the office that drives me insane...

So fast forward to about two weeks ago...
I had had enough of this so I started playing my own Indie music in my desk.
My coworker who sits next to me, who is the manager, asked me if I was playing music about a week ago and I told her yes and she said nothing. Everything was going well until a few days ago when my boss walked past my desk and heard my music. She said nothing. Then on Friday we had a team meeting. I just knew she was going to talk about me playing music and she did. She said "I know you guys don't like my music (Lie. She was referring to me. Everyone there always sings the annoying songs.) but I just think that radio station is really professional and when we move into the other office it'll have a stereo programmed to that radio station." And that made me SO angry but now I feel stupid because I said nothing! UGH! I am seriously considering looking for a new job because of a stupid radio station.

Sorry to go on this rant.

Tags: Annoying, Coworkers, Failed, Job, Religious, people

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What kind of work place is this that they play music aloud? Is it for visiting clients or customers? If not, it isn't professional, regardless of the music type. That doesn't make it wrong, but it's not professional -- it's personal.

When it comes to work life, you tend to pick and choose your battles. Some people have insane job security, or jobs which are highly independent, but most of don't and we will spend our entire careers managing professional relationships. If it was an ethics violation or a safety issue, then perhaps you should have felt compelled to speak. Apart from that, it's a judgment call. If you are considering a different place of employment, just try to keep in mind that you may want to use your boss or colleagues as references.

Oh, I see it's insurance. They should be leaving the music off. If individuals can work with headphones on, cool, but other wise it's noise pollution. Even if clients do visit the office, some may love that music, but others are probably agitated by it. 

Bouncy, I see that you're from London.  This is an unusual situation for the UK.  Are there a lot of Africans in your office?  (btw some of my favourite people are African.) 

Simon I actually live in the US! My location is in the bible belt to be exact (right above Texas). Sorry I like keeping my name and location private. :]

Start a blog about it. If anything it will give you a place to vent and possibly get a few laughs out of the whole thing.

But unfortunately, somebody in the company might see it. 

Keep it anonymous and don't mention the company name and you're good to go.

Professional? Bwahahahaha!

I, too, was laughing internally when she said that!

Bouncy, sorry to hear about your trouble at work. To underscore what has already appeared on this thread, you have in no way failed.

Have you considered a proactive discussion to let them know that their constant religious affirmations conflict with your particular spiritual upbringing, and you'd like to see if your coworkers can tone it down? Perhaps suggest that you could do better work without all the God talk. This is a pretty general request, which does not seem to be an unreasonable or belligerent way for you to address this problem in the workplace. My guess is that these people believe God wants them to persuade and/ or torture you with this stuff. Your lack of belief is a threat to the way the world makes sense to them - big stuff.

Alternately, you could bring a prayer rug and start praying to Mecca at the correct times when you're at work every day. They'd freak out over that, right?

I'll bet they are decent and hard working people (however misguided they may seem to many of us). You may consider legal action, speaking with an attorney who is interested in pursuing your cause. It is not fair that being proselytized is part of your job description (this is a variety of 'religious bullying,' which Christopher Hitchens addressed regularly. He got really quiet on the subject after he died). You have worked there for years, and through no fault of your own the circumstances have become less than professional (one might argue).

As other have also pointed out, you have to choose your battles in the workplace.

Good luck, I know you'll be fine!

Bouncy, here's another thought. Is there some corporate headquarters for this insurance agency? I suppose many agencies are self owned and operated, but you may have some luck if there is a corporate overlord of some kind. Corporations are in constant PR crisis mode and are paid to reduce and eliminate bad appearances related to hotly contested issues.

Yeah this is a nationwide known insurance company. You know when you sing the jingle your agent pops out to help you? "Like a good neighbor..."
I hadn't thought about that!

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service