first .. I'm not even atheist, I am agnostic. (but I'm still going to hell.)

There are some situations in which I feel the need to defend religion and its followers from hateful atheists.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe, and to worship what they want to worship. There is no rule in any lawbook that says otherwise. You can be Jewish, Buddhist, you can worship the ground, nature, space, or goats. It doesn't matter, you have that right as a citizen. (Now, keep in mind I'm talking about America because I am not sure about other places.)

There are Christians who openly bash and persecute peoples of different religions and cultures. There are Jewish, Muslim, and Buddhist people who do the same thing. Pagans and Wiccans, Satanists, and Atheists.

And unfortunately..

There are some atheist people out there who are unforgiving and unrelenting in their bashing and hatefulness towards peoples of any religion.

The one thing I was taught in life were morals and ethics. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Christians preach love for all, and there is a bible verse in which it says (roughly, don't know word for word)"He who gets slapped in one cheek, turn the other and ask no questions, for it is your duty to forgive." I took this to mean that you should let people walk on you. Of course, they don't, and neither does an atheist. Unless that's your personality.

So occasionally, I will meet an atheist whose purpose in life is to be hateful towards Christian people. I feel ashamed of these people. I am, as agnostic, a part of this "disbelieving blasphemous group" and people like those who actively seek to be hateful offend me. Their screams of "GOD ISN'T REAL, YOU'RE A STUPID MORON AND YOU NEED TO JUST KILL YOURSELF AND GO TO YOUR HEAVEN SO THE REST OF US CAN LIVE PEACEFULLY" and etc are offensive to me.

They are the types of atheists that religious people think of when they think of atheists. It is human nature to take a little bit of good and a mouthful of bad, and then complain and bitch and moan about the bad, while ignoring that tiny piece of goodness.
These are the same atheists that scream respect from religious people and tell the religious people they are not following their God's wishes by being angry and spiteful in return.

This comes back to, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Religious people can be just as hateful, but I am not talking about that group, I am talking about OUR group. They should be ashamed of themselves just as much as hateful atheists should be ashamed of theirs.

Sorry this was so long and I hope I don't lose any friends over it. It's just something I was thinking about.

Views: 707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, there are violent atheists as there are any extremist groups in life. that's life, unfortunately.....

generally, we, atheists, are searching for the truth.....which is existence of god/gods. since one can't prove existence of god, we remain skeptic. faith is not in our vocabulary...

agree, i, too, feel ashamed for actions of these pathetic clowns...
I would say that most folks here are intelligent, and most likely more so than I. Nonetheless, it seems that many folks are simply choosing to miss the point of the G. Rule idea., either that or they are just play a game of semantics. It seems obvious to me that the G. Rule is about respect. Simply treat others with respect. If dealing with any other reasonably rational person of good nature I will expect the same in return. IF they choose not to, well that is another animal altogether. :)
I enjoyed reading this. I agree that atheist/agnostics/agnostic-atheist should not be hateful to religious people, nor should we undermine their intelligence. There are lots of intelligent, thoughtful theists! Just because they believe in god/gods doesn't make them stupid. The human mind contains many rooms, so that it's possible to compartmentalize irrational beliefs in ways that shield them from the kind of analysis and challenge that is used diligently in other matters. As Guy P. Harrison says in the book 50 Reasons People Give For Believing in a God, these are not necessarily weak thinkers; they are inconsistent thinkers!

I disagree with the "golden rule" to some extent though. For example, Christians would want others to pray for them the way they pray for others. I'm not a believer so I'm not going to pray. Another example is in love relationships. My husband's "love language" is different from mine. So the way I receive love is different from the way he receives love. I like it, for example, when he takes the initative to wash the dishes. To me that says, "I love you, thanks for cooking dinner. I'll do this part." But if I were to wash the dishes, that wouldn't mean much to him. So I can't expect to do that as a way of telling him I love him.

But I get the point: we should treat each other with consideration.
Wow! I haven't checked this thread in.. weeks. I can't believe it's gotten so long.
i am atheist and i hate atheist's who feel the need to bash..or any religion for that matter live life as your own dont preach unless asked its just not right
its just one of those things, if people ask then sure tell them if they don't then the whole world dosn't need to know your business. when it comes down to it each religion can be true just in faith and wrong in text nobody can prove them wrong or right, only in death will we truly know. by the way has anyone heard, and its mostly from stupid teen "i hate god im Atheist i believe in the devil"? Because i have and if your really atheist you don't believe in heaven or hell God or Satan am i right?....i just irritates me.
"when it comes down to it each religion can be true just in faith and wrong in text nobody can prove them wrong or right, only in death will we truly know."

No.
Get a life. Go to Africa and help the impoverished people who live on rubbish tips, make poverty and killings a thing of the past, then tell me there is a 'god' when this cruelty ends once and for all.
I don't share your sympathy for theists but I don't run around hounding them. Yes, everyone can believe whatever BS they want, but that doesn't mean I have to respect their pathetic, poisonous garbage. They're wasting their life and the life of others.
Ok, I'm probably one of the biggest assholes on this site, but when it comes down to it, I only trade tit for tat. I despise religion, and what it does to humanity, but I'm not going door to door...
If someone comes to me spouting that nonsense, I will, in trade, give exactly what I am given. They tell me I'm going to hell, and I'll tell them to go to hell. I'm not gonna get 'in their face' about it unless they get in MY face. The way I look at it, is that I will give what I get. It's only fair...
Bobby M said:
by the way has anyone heard, and its mostly from stupid teen "i hate god im Atheist i believe in the devil"? Because i have and if your really atheist you don't believe in heaven or hell God or Satan am i right?....i just irritates me.

I think a lot of xtians equate atheism with belief in the devil, not necessarily satanism (as far as I'm aware Anton LaVey's Church of Satan was founded on the rejection of xtianity, not belief/worship of the devil, they just liked to put on a good show). anyway, I have had older xtians (so it's not just teens, it's how all of them are taught) tell me I must want to go hell because if I don't believe in god then that means I believe in satan, they can't seem to grasp the concept of having no belief in any of it.
you make a good point and i agree, but what bothers me is when they automatically disregard a religion or faith (Christians or satanism) with no knowledge behind the religion....if you going to hate a religion know what your hating on you know what i mean

kvnvk said:
Bobby M said:
by the way has anyone heard, and its mostly from stupid teen "i hate god im Atheist i believe in the devil"? Because i have and if your really atheist you don't believe in heaven or hell God or Satan am i right?....i just irritates me.

I think a lot of xtians equate atheism with belief in the devil, not necessarily satanism (as far as I'm aware Anton LaVey's Church of Satan was founded on the rejection of xtianity, not belief/worship of the devil, they just liked to put on a good show). anyway, I have had older xtians (so it's not just teens, it's how all of them are taught) tell me I must want to go hell because if I don't believe in god then that means I believe in satan, they can't seem to grasp the concept of having no belief in any of it.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 27 minutes ago. 42 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.