My mother and I have never really clicked.
In fact, that could be the understatement of the century. But I accept it. It's what I've become used to.
What I cannot tolerate, however, is her sympathy. Her 'pity' for my godlessness.
It's the condescending, 'Oh, sweetheart, you'll see someday. You'll get over this radical collegiate phase,'
It's that, 'Bless your soul. I'll pray that you find the truth,'
Or, my absolute FAVORITE -
'Why are you doing this to yourself?'
And she rolls her eyes. Shakes her head. Appeals to heaven.
[Rinse with holy water, and repeat.]

The woman thinks I am dooming myself to a bleak worldview; she finds my lack of faith almost masochistic. Her line of thought goes something like this (be warned - it's based entirely on religious assumptions):
-------> God exists and He is good.
------>With his goodness, God has created everything in the universe.
----->Thus, good human beings owe their goodness to God.
---->Humans, then, who credit their goodness elsewhere (say, to their upbringing or personal moral compass) are self centered and ignorant of the larger picture.
--->This blind here-and-now humanistic worldview will result in the individual foolishly and blasphemously disconnecting his/herself with God.
-->Without contact with the divine, the individual will induce misery and bring about his/her own demise.
->Thus, I, as an atheist, am subconsciously, tragically dooming myself to depression and the pursuit of profane, fleeting pleasure as opposed to a lasting peace with God.

Right. Of course. Silly me. Because that's such tight logic, right?

On top of this, my uncle promised that he would pray for me so that I don't eternally burn with the sinners and heathens. He also called my brother a worshiper of the Antichrist because he listens to metal music.
Has anyone else encountered condescending sentiment similar to this, or is it just my Polish Catholic family?

Tags: argument, atheism, condescending, family, intolerance, pity, prayer, psychology, rift

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the phase, "modesty is the highest form of arrogance". If you are modesty about something then you are displaying a regard that what you have done or achived is normal and not worth praise, thusly setting your average bar of achivement higher than everyone else that is praising you for your achivement that is higher than their average bar of achivement. Thusly you have protrayed yourself as better and thusly you wer being arrogant in your modesty.
My employer assumes being Christian makes a person good. That's a bigoted assumption, of course and it would be bad enough if he wasn't the district attorney. If someone who is obviously a Christian commits a crime, I have to wonder if he assumes that someone they weren't REALLY Christians but just going through the motions. Every single child rapist I ever prosecuted who went to trial was a Christian and made sure the jury knew it.
This is somewhat off topic, but my husband very briefly worked for a blatantly Christian Company. They included bible quotes on their employee checks. My husband uses profanity pretty much as everyday language. One day, the boss called him in and asked him to please tone down his swearing, because they were a Christian Company.

My husband looked at them and said, "Yeah? Well, I don't believe in that shit."

Profanity and atheism in one sentence. I laughed so hard when he told me that story!
I do believe atheists get prayed for more than anyone except perhaps the dying. And that's debatable.
sigh, when my mother says a prayer before dinner, one of the things she used to ask god was that "I saw the light" in so many words. Actually, I found it disturbing that when I went to our family doctor for my depression and anxiety disorder, one of his suggestions was that I "go to church and have a stronger relationship with God" I'm not even kidding. That's what its like here in small town Pennsylvania.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 3 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service