Hi everyone, my name is Selasi and I just joined this community. I am a Ghanaian from West Africa which is almost 99% religious. I am a newly "converted" atheist almost a year now. Its been pretty difficult for me as I envisaged. I feel rejected anytime I share my newly found "faith" to my friends. my parents don't know as of now because I fear the consequences. I can hardly find my bearing since I am alone because its either there are no atheist in Ghana or I haven't yet found them. I mostly depend on twitter and other social media for information regarding atheism. I have started reading "god is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens which is a very great book and l look forward to reading more from him. I joined this group upon recommendation by one of the people I am following on twitter and I wish I could get all the help I need on here, maybe Atheism 101. Its a pleasure to meet you guys and I look forward to gaining knowledge here. Thank you for accepting me in advance. Adios

Views: 496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christians are the majority, followed by Islam and Traditionalist make up the least.

I hope you find nice people you can relate to here. Take a weight off your shoulder.

What kind of help can someone in another part of the world offer you?  I'm new to Think Atheist too, but have been a non-believer for many years.

Welcome Selasi.

Welcome Jesse.

The name of Ghana reminds me of W.E.B. Du Bois, an early 20th century intellectual and atheist whom I admire. He renounced his American citizenship to live in your country in the 1960s. Du Bois was born near my hometown in Massachusetts; the tower library where I went to university was named after him.

Its been pretty difficult for me as I envisaged. I feel rejected anytime I share my newly found "faith" to my friends. my parents don't know as of now because I fear the consequences.

What sort of consequences do you fear, Jesse? Are you danger of physical attack, imprisonment, being kicked out of your home, or losing your job? What's it like for you to be an atheist in Ghana?

I can hardly find my bearing since I am alone because its either there are no atheist in Ghana or I haven't yet found them.

There's a group of Humanists. I'm sure they'd enjoy meeting you: Humanist Association of Ghana

"Freethought Ghana is our open group. We have a monthly meet-ups which we advertise on Freethought Ghana on Facebook. If you are a humanist, skeptic, an agnostic or an atheist, or if you are just curious as to what this is all about, please join us! All are welcome."

I mostly depend on twitter and other social media for information regarding atheism. I have started reading "god is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens which is a very great book and l look forward to reading more from him. I joined this group upon recommendation by one of the people I am following on twitter and I wish I could get all the help I need on here, maybe Atheism 101. Its a pleasure to meet you guys and I look forward to gaining knowledge here. Thank you for accepting me in advance. Adios

A good way to start here on Think Atheist is posting discussions based on specific questions you have. It can be about personal experiences you've had or general questions. (What is atheism? How is atheism different from agnosticism? How would you respond to this statement a Christian said to me? Etc.)

I'd also be interested to know about some of your experiences. Ghana is one of the most highly rated countries in Africa (7th out of 52) in terms of human development, human rights, safety, rule of law, and economic opportunity. But how does that apply to the irreligious in a country that is 99% religious? Are you really free to be without a religion if you want to be? Has this ever really been tested?

If you'd like to share any opinions or experiences that you've had with friends, family, at work, with the government, or whatever else, I think you'll find some interest and encouragement here, for whatever that's worth to you. We all have our stories to tell.

yes WEB Dubois is really much recognized in Ghana here, I studied him during my first semester in Pan Africanism class in my first year at the university

What sort of consequences do you fear, Jesse? Are you danger of physical attack, imprisonment, being kicked out of your home, or losing your job? What's it like for you to be an atheist in Ghana

Physical attack? Imprisonment? Not at all, but I do face resentment when I talk about by beliefs to my friends. I believe my mum would be too caring to kick me out home. but I believe she will think I am possessed by some sort of demon which will call for massive prayers and fasting I believe.

Your statistic about Ghana is true, but there are no atheist group to really test human rights and all others that comes along with them. and there are no reports on whether someone has been discriminated on the basis of his/her non belief in a god. I think people are scared because of how society will perceive them when they declare their non belief in an imaginary god, they will be seen as frustrated, immoral. and evil and I don't think Ghana is ready to debate on the issue of whether god exist or not. Ghana is so religious that one of our MPs asked us to recite Isaiah 54;17 whenever we are under physical attack and this was said on the floor of parliament. (unimaginable).

There's a group of Humanists. I'm sure they'd enjoy meeting you: Humanist Association of Ghana

Never heard of this group but I will sure find out about it.

Thank you very much for your help. I am enjoying it so far

Welcome Jesse. I just finished "God Is Not Great" last month. Best/funniest book I've read in a long time. He was a great writer.

It's not easy being right.

Don't I know.

There is a growing group of young humanists-atheists in Ghana, mostly in Accra but also in Takoradi, Kumasi and Tamale. We organised a West African Humanist conference in 2012, are on Garden City radio every Monday night in Kumasi, have a blog (http://ghanahumanists.wordpress.com), run Freethought Ghana on Facebook, and have recently been getting articles on GhanaWeb, Modern Ghana and The Insight Newspaper. Please contact me and I'll get you hooked up with the group.

Regarding the scamming issue the top country for internet scams is the USA with Nigeria and Ghana far down the list!

You are accepted :)

Understand that on Think Atheist, you can talk about anything and you will never be judged.  I hope you can find atheists where you live too, sounds like a pretty religious area you live in.  

Hi, Jesse,

it's scary, I know.

What you are facing is a life in which you have to make up things for yourself instead of relying on someone else's opinion of who you are and what you should do

Listening to James Taylor's live version of Steam Roller blues

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service