Hi, I am a 64 yr old woman who is finally free of religious skeletons. I can now without guilt call myself an Atheist.  Because of my "Christian" upbringing ,my thoughts, ideas, opinions became molded for me but not by me, as a result i have never been able to express myself very well . I now hold my own opinions which i would like to articulate on this site but so far feel intimidated with the writings, they all sound so intelligent and im impressed by the way opinions are expressed . The other day a blog on here was a guy expressing his disgust on how stupid some people are when it comes to writing their opinions without proper punctuation ,spelling etc, well i am one of those people, I feel very intelligent inside but cannot express myself well. I guess the point im trying to make is that i found this site interesting but feel very intimated to speak my mind.  For now i will just sit back and enjoy the reading.

Views: 1248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My advice would be that if you have an honest interjection to a forum, post it! Maybe throw a clause in there that says, "Maybe I'm off base but..." or "I'm not very well aquainted with this topic but...". Whatever the case I hope everyone who has a genuine question or comment can post it without trepidation. Afterall, atheist are a hard lot to organize and give an all inclusive group, so let's not let that deteriorate here! :)

Hi Peggy,

Like you, I rarely participate in the conversations, not due to insecurities related my grammar, but because I have never talked extensively about religion, or my opinion of it. I have always seen this as a hot button issue because I am an atheist. When I was young I was always told I would go to hell, I grew tired of people trying to convert me, etc. As a result, I guess I have been in the closet. I wonder if the fact that this is new to you, embracing the identifier of atheist, which holds you back, and not simply your possible shortcomings in communication. I have noticed some very well spoken individuals on here, which was the main reason I joined this site. I really enjoy reading the replies and blogs on here, and finally feel like there are other people out there who think (sometimes) like I do. I guess I was tired of having no voice, so even when I read a fantastic post, I feel validated.

Good luck

Sometimes you walk in and speak eloquently, charming the pants off of everyone. Sometimes you kick the door open and say "sup. what're you guys doin in here? talkin bout Neetch?"

Question I would like to ask - I have a vague recollection about JW's and their education policy. Do JW's not like Further Education, or kids going to Uni or College, for males and females.

I've only had in depth JW conversation with one JW (female) and found that they weren't nearly as fundamentalist (or nuts) as my Pentecostal family.  Post secondary education didn't seem to be an issue at all in her family, as far as their religion was concerned.

From what little I know of JWism, it seemed to hang together more logically than regular Xianity (with one exception). The alleged loving god, for instance, doesn't fry people in hell for eternity.  But of course I'll defer to any ex JWs who might be here!

The exception of course is the end times bullshit and their repeated failed predictions as to when it would be.

I did a bit of research and found one web site from 2005 - 

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_defn.htm

saying they didn't, they should give their life to the lord etc. taken from Watchtower, and another from 2011 said it was a good thing.

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/do-jehova...

I think they may have been afraid of the lovely xian children having sex, drinking drugging etc, and even, Mithra forbid, Atheists.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car." G.K. Chesterton.

I must add that, everything else in the garage is also included!

Several years ago, I was invited to the Buddist gathering in Portland. I was all nieve, expecting that there would be a lot of selfless meditation and insight, WRONG! This was a meeting of a group that called itself Buddist, but used meditation to bring money, power, women, cars, stuff, into thier lives. They even had a little chant, sadly I can't remember how it goes. Members said that the chant works. I quess all that work and stuff that I indulged in was a waste of time? Insight is such a begger in hindsight! 

Don't feel intimidated. People who complain about grammar all the time, grammar nazis, more often then not miss the content of the posts because they are trying to make themselves feel superior by pointing out the flaws of others.

I think it is awesome that you have freed yourself from the chains of religion. I am glad you are here. Please speak your mind and post often. If you feel you have trouble expressing yourself then the only way to change that is by expressing yourself. We all would love to hear how your new life coming out as an atheist is going. So please don't hesitate to start a thread, even if it is only a short one.

Hmm. It seems to me you're not dealing with people whose writing standards are unattainable but rather a case of low self-esteem.

Unless someone else wrote this piece for you, I find your writing ability above average. 

Wow, if I were her, I would print that out, have it framed and hang it in a prominent place as a legacy to be handed down through the generations!

Unnngh?!

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 21 minutes ago. 18 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 3 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service