Why is it that people tend to be un supportive of the things I want as freedoms and yet be so virile with their own desired "freedoms."

Why cant we all have these freedoms and maybe work on changing the laws in this nation too one very simple law...do no harm unless in self defense!

Just wondering?

Tags: Atheist, and, eating, gun, libertarian, meat, toting

Views: 151

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's the law of numbers. Both idiots and guns are in record supply.
Good to know there's others.
Yours is my favorite reply on the gun issue on this post so far. I'm... well I'm a little scared of guns, lol, all these people with guns or even who love/like guns even if they don't own them is a little overwhelming at the moment. I mean I played with water/nerf guns when I was little and that was IT, my experience with guns is SO minimal lol. I haven't grown up around too many people that owned guns although one of my friends hunted deer and he had a fake deer with a target on it in his backyard so I'd see it whenever I went over there... Guns in general just seem unnecessary to me - in modern day US cities/towns where we have official agencies specifically trained to protect each other and we don't need to kill off the bears or hunt our own food, they're just excessively dangerous. From what I've gathered over the years. I've just never understood why people fight so strongly to keep their right to own a gun...

On the Vegetarian/Vegan vs. Carnivore stuff from earlier in this post, I just recently listened to this podcast episode: http://www.forgoodreason.org/bruce_hood_why_we_believe_in_the_unbel...

And it might explain why even atheists have this "sanctity of life" notion that is really hard to get rid of, and why that might not be a bad thing though. I mean I eat meat but I feel bad about the inhumane ways it gets to me and have considered becoming a Vegetarian/Vegan... I probably never will but I still regret some of the things humans do to animals. I argued FOR animal testing - in a pro-science/research kind of way - in 8th grade, and I recently bought a leather wallet because it was really pretty, although I kinda wished it wasn't leather, but my dad convinced me leather was good, it would be more durable and lasting lol.

I'm not sure where exactly I fall on all of these issues but in general I do think having freedom is better than not having freedom. However if that freedom encroaches upon others' freedoms then I don't know. When it comes to guns I always have thought that people having the rights to own them just makes the world more dangerous and scary and doesn't help anyone.

Oh and whoever said even what "Self-defense" means is debatable, tell me about it! Three years ago, my mother brought charges of assault against my dad and we had to argue that my dad pushed her out of self-defense - he was protecting my brother, and protecting his son should count as self-defense - hopefully. The case ended up getting dismissed while I was testifying and explaining that my mother was abusive and that's why my brother & I weren't living with her anymore... I think that scared the prosecutors and so they finally were convinced that the case had no chance of winning... but seriously the definition of "self-defense" can really vary.
Nicely put, Michel.

I have heard many people say that if everyone owned a gun and could carry it around, criminals would cease in their criminal activities. I don't think that is how reality would play out in that situation. I would feel much less safe with a proliferation of guns with little or no regulation.
Yep! People act differently and make different decisions when armed.
Exactly! I stopped carrying my gun even in my truck because anytime I felt threatened, the thought of having the gun made me feel more confident. And that, I think, was not a good thing.

And I would never ride a motorbike in U.S. traffic. I don't feel safe even surrounded by my Tundra. People are maniacs on the road.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service