But I want to know more about atheism. What do YOU believe?

Views: 1865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"goy"=non-Jew

REALLY?!

Yes, "goy" means  non-Jew. Like most words, it has a history and has had more than one meaning, but as it is most commonly used today, it's what modern Jews call non-Jews.

EVERYbody knows that, hence the sarcasm. Well, that, and I just enjoy being sarcastic --

I doubt if everybody knows what "goy" means. Why would they? You'd pretty much have to know Jewish people pretty well.

Oi vey!!

I have questioned that one more than once. God sat around for all those years, send a flood because what he created sined to much, then he sat around again, Then sent himself as his son to earth, to die for the humans he created sins, then on the last moment he prayed to himself, father, father why have you forsaken me, dies gets resurrected by himself to sit on his own right hand. They call it a monotheistic religion but to me it gives more the impresion of a polytheistic religion that they treid to make into one.

Yeah, the more you actually think about it, the more convoluted it becomes.  This is why, in general, Christians are taught not to examine their religion - although they are given 'bible study' classes that tell them they will examine their beliefs, but the curriculum specifically avoids such logical knots.

My own daughter (Oh, the SHAME of it all!) attends Bible Study classes, which I, out of curiosity, have sat in on. My observation is that they concentrate primarily on the letters of Paul, to the exclusion of all else.

At NO point in time, do they ever discuss the actual history of the Bible, how it was written and who wrote it, which was the primary motivating factor behind starting my own website to do exactly that.

Oh they definitely wouldn't give the bible the Friedman/Ehrman treatment.  that might cause people to realize it's just an ordinary anthology of extraordinarily woo-filled stuff.

Actually, Heather, Isiah prophecies a "Messiah," he is never named.

If god and Yeshua were one, Yeshua would never have had occasion to be quoted as saying his power comes not from himself, but from his father, nor would he be praying in Gethsemene for the cup to pass from him, then decide, "Not my will, but thine be done." "Thine"? Whose?

I find it hard to understand how the bishops at the Council of Nicea couldn't figure that out for themselves, it seems perfectly clear to me, and I've mentioned only a couple of the many references Yeshua is quoted as having made, that the two were separate, but apparently the bishops chose not to take his word for it.

Yes - still the trinity contradicts the whole shebang.  Now, as a prophet, well that's another story.  One would still have to be suspicious of his lack of understanding which god he was representing.

Heather, I have the words to Spike Jones' "I'm My Own Grandpa" and have been wanting to analyze the words and figure out how he did it. Thanks to Mercedes' question and your reply above about daughters, I might just do it and let you know. Don't hold your breath.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com