But I want to know more about atheism. What do YOU believe?

Views: 1892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To believe in a god, requires that you believe in magic, and magic and science don't mix. The only magic I have ever seen, lies in the love we humans have for each other, and I'll admit, there's not nearly enough of that.

To give you the full quotation of Neil Degrasse Tyson, mentioned by Milos, it's:

"God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance, that gets smaller and smaller as time goes on."

But here's another one you ought to consider:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Steven H. Roberts--

Uhg - that's like asking whether or not science can give us a better understanding of Santa Claus.  We know the myths about Santa, and science can investigate some of them (like slipping down a chimney) but generally the results suggest the myths are just myths.  Some with gods - but I don't think we even need science to see that Yahweh/Jesus is self contradicting.

Of course Christians do believe in science (how could you not believe?) and they do say that science is possible because of a rational god. My point was more about the practical results of science versus religion. You can pray to god for hours on end to relieve your sinus infection, or you can take a simple antibiotic that knocks it out in a few days. You can fast and pray to see if god will restore your sight, or you can go to a doctor and get glasses. Christians might do both, but if you had to pick one or the other, I think you could do better with the glasses.

Africa has one of the fastest-growing Chrisitan populations, but the continent is still wracked with deadly malaria and famine. Their faith is strong, but many die in spite of all the prayers. But malaria sufferers who are lucky enough to get to a modern hospital can often live through it with the right scientifically-developed cure.

You can pray to God with every prayer you know, and beg him to make himself known to you by lighting a candle, and I bet you'll never see even a spark. Or you can take a piece of wood that's been treated with a clever mix of chemicals invented by a scientist, and I bet you'll light that candle in two seconds flat. 

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand, clasped in prayer."
-- Anonymous --

I believe in the laws of Thermodynamics 

Paragraphs would have been nice.

Unlike you, not everyone is in love with their own words.

There are no atheist collective beliefs.  Atheist means you lack faith in all gods. 

I however have faith in humanity and our progression for the good of our fellow human beings.  But no spiritual or religious beliefs 

I think, Mercedes, that Keith sums it up quite well.

Wow - now that's what I call a seriously well documented response. :D

Mercedes, you're finding out, I think, that there's more actual information about The Holy Bible here than you'll ever get in Sunday school. 

And for the most part you can readily verify what we are telling you (or decide we are full of it). 

Some of the things Archaeopteryx talks about (how the OT came to be the way it is) are harder to verify that way but are the results of a hundred years of careful study and analysis by scholars looking at the original Hebrew, similar analysis of the new testament has been done by others with some interesting results (for example many of Paul's letters are believed to not actually have been written by Paul, on the basis of many considerations you won't be able to pick up on just by reading the epistles).  I was never a Christian but I find a lot of this stuff interesting, to the point where I've bought several books.

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 22 minutes ago. 22 Replies

Calling All Vaginas!

Started by Pope Beanie in Small Talk 46 minutes ago. 0 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 4 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 11 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service