But I want to know more about atheism. What do YOU believe?

Views: 1884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree with that. After all the judeo christian god was created by hebrew slaves. They simply chose an invented  master.

We're all depressed, mad at God, abuse children, have no moral code to live by, and are going to Hell.

There, I've confirmed all your prejudices. You can leave now.

Mercedes, Unseen here is our resident cynic - kinda like the weird uncle in every family that no one really ever likes to talk about. Take everything he says with a ton of salt, you are welcome to stay as long as you like.

I will answer your questions so far in this one post, in hopes to reduce the amount of replies you will get by at least two.

What do YOU believe?

If by this you mean what I, Milos Cakovan believe, then I believe all kinds of things. I believe in peace, equality, a hopeful bright Star Trek-esque future for humanity, that religion is harmful to the human race, that cats are fun, that homeopathy is bullshit, that PC gaming is superior to consoles, and so on.

If you mean what atheists believe, then we believe all kinds of different things. The better question, as kOrsan put it is what don't we believe in; and that is any gods. I would love to add all supernatural woo woo, but some people out there do believe in ghosts and other wacky things.

What is your stance on the Bible? And what about Jesus himself?

My stance on the bible is the same as my stance on Harry Potter, the Iliad and the Odyssey. They are books of myth, fable and story, meant to inspire, entertain, or control. The bible holds no more basis in reality than the Iliad, or any other religious texts that precede it.

As for Jesus, I think that he never existed. Due to the historical inconsistencies with the bible's story of Jesus, and known, discovered facts, it does not add up. What strikes me odd the most about the Jesus story is that he is not mentioned in any Roman records until well after his death. The Roman Empire loved to keep records of everything they did, whether it was positive or negative (they did keep record of the death of Marcus Crassus, which was one of the most embarrassing defeats the Roman Empire ever suffered), so I find it odd that no one until decades later bothered to mention how they stamped out a religious uprising so quickly by capturing and crucifying the leader.
Was there a guy named Yeshua back in those days? Possibly.
Did he stir shit with the Romans and Jews? Possibly, although lacking any credible proof.
Was he born of a virgin and was the son of god? Seriously doubt it.
Did he perform miracles? If what Derren Brown does is called a miracle, then sure.

What I think is that Jesus was a combination of various other deities and regional leaders and myths all rolled into one, and then blown even further out of proportion.

Do atheists have any central or core values they live by?

No, we do not. As it has been stated by others, and as I have mentioned above, we are all individuals and we all hold different ideals to heart. Many do tend to agree on topics such as equality, non-violence, and the like, but there is no central belief system to atheism. There are no commandments, no book to read and follow. We hope that all atheists value all life and do their best to make the world a better place, but all that is is hope.

In order to have any central or core values you need to be organized. There is an old but accurate cliche about atheists. Organizing atheists is like herding cats. We may get together from time to time and unite over a particular ideal, but we are far too independent to hold any "core" values.

Christianity was plagurised from many different sources.

The following, if true, would really set the catholic church back on it's heels, What the!!!

Jesus was married - Oh, no - this can't be true - Why not!!!

If the men of the day, didn't like a particular thing, while translating, change a word here or there, changing the whole context of meaning - I could never get past a person reading the same text, getting a totally different interpretation of the same word or sentence.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/us-religion-jesus-marriag...

Sorry, my computer is still playing up -

Christianity was plagurised from many different sources.

The following, if true, would really set the catholic church back on it's heels, What the!!
Jesus was married - Oh, no - this can't be true - Why not!!

If the men of the day, didn't like a particular thing, while translating, change a word here or there, changing the whole context of meaning - I could never get past a person reading the same text, getting a totally different interpretation of the same word or sentence.

I don't know nor care if he existed or not - it is what the catholic church believes, and base their whole dogma on the fact he was not married, and kept women under control and subjugated because of this idea.

I also never understood why any woman would want to belong to any cult, and I do consider the catholic church a cult, the same as any other, when women are thought of 'as not good enough'.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/us-religion-jesus-marriag...

Mercedes,

To turn the table around just a bit, I might ask why you believe in supernatural beings?

Is your current belief system a product of:

1. Your environment: born in the U.S., you're probably a christian; born in Iran, a Muslim, etc. A matter of  demographics, if you will.

2. Your research into all religions of the world and you decided christianity was the most appealing.

3. Your direct exposure and communication with your particular god. The two of you have conversed.

4. Your parents indoctrinating you at a very early age to the teachings of Jesus and you have blindly accepted this to this point in time.

5. You suddenly had a eureka moment, a religious experience.

I believe in many things. I will just list a few

That no powerful god could create the whole universe and lack raw material to create woman.

That we need to be kind to each other

That sex is only dirty when done badly[whatever bad means]

I believe no god omniscient or not has ever spoken to man further still that the said god delivered a book or set of books for us.

Do atheists have any central or core values they live by?

Yes we do, that we must be kind to each other. I don't know if gets more central than that.

What is your stance on the Bible? And what about Jesus himself?

The bible is a creation of men. I think Jesus is legend, nothing more just like there is a story in my village of a guy who to kill him they speared his shadow and he became a stone.

That said, it would be easier if you did a raft of questions so we don't have to look for them in between the comments.

How is it possible that Jesus never existed? And I believe the Bible is proof that God exists. How does one say it's just made up? Especially since there are so many prophesies that have already come true. I was raised as a Christian, but I'm trying to learn about other belief systems on my own. Sorry for asking so many questions. I go to a very small church and this past Sunday they has a sermon about atheism. It sparked my curiosity. It was taught that atheists have no "center" and that it ends up being whatever you make it. But to the Christian faith Jesus is center, and he's all we need. That's how I got curious about atheism. I probably don't belong on this forum but thank you for everyone who has answered my questions.

Mercedes, as long as you want to learn you are in the right place.

How is it possible that Jesus never existed?

The stories built around him are not different from the stories found in the Near East about virgin births, rising sun gods and so on. It requires special pleading to make his case an exception to the rule. There are those who entertain the possibility he was a historical figure but he didn't make the claims being made about him.

And I believe the Bible is proof that God exists.

You ever hear of circular reasoning. You believe the bible is proof that god exists because the bible says so! Do you have any other proof besides the bible as proof that the christian god exists?

How does one say it's just made up?

By reading through it. When you do, you discover there are so many inconsistencies and contradictions that can only be the work of several authors writing to different groups at different times.

Especially since there are so many prophesies that have already come true

Which prophesies are these that have come to pass? What you call prophesies are written after the fact.

Sorry for asking so many questions

No need to apologise. Doubt is the source of learning.

I was raised as a Christian, but I'm trying to learn about other belief systems on my own.

Maybe you should read more about them. The answers you will get here are not enough to describe every belief system that exists. I thought you said you are a christian. The was in this statement would imply you belong to a different faith now and which is this?

It was taught that atheists have no "center" and that it ends up being whatever you make it.

Maybe your pastor knows so little about atheism just as you do. Spend time reading about atheism and atheists maybe you will have a different view. Even the religious makes their center except they think god approves of it.

But to the Christian faith Jesus is center, and he's all we need.

To the christian faith is all he needs except when he needs money then he has to work for it.

you discover there are so many inconsistencies and contradictions

Here is a list of some...

Biblical Contradictions.

there's a lot to read there...

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service