Hypothetical Question - What would society be like if there were no consequences?

What kind of a society (sans a god) do you think we would have if everyone believed they were born bad,couldn't help but to do bad--but that it didn't matter because they would never get thrown in jail.

In my opinion--it would be and IS chaos, but it IS chaos due to the influence of Christianity which holds to the above meta theory.  (sin, repent, sin, repent--repeat when necessary without consequence)

So what is your view of a society that could do whatever they wanted to without consequences.

Tags: christianity, morality, sin

Views: 1261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nobody's perfect Cathy, we all f*** up every day. 

I have a question for you.  Do you believe it is possible to be perfect?

I have a question for you.  Do you believe it is possible to be perfect?

Yes. But only if you're the 1972 Dolphins

Lol--yes, the Dolphins were perfect!  And so am I.

Anything that's not impossible is possible, however unlikely.

It's not unlikely at all for a person who believes that human nature is not innately bad.  It's actually quite easy for a person that does not believe the aforementioned Christian doctrine, or any other doctrine that espouses those views.  See my aforementioned experimental citations below.

http://aisforatheist5760.blogspot.ca/2012/07/why-james-holmes-rampa...

http://aisforatheist5760.blogspot.ca/2012/07/this-post-is-follow-up...

Again, Cathy, I agree with you - if you rear a child in the belief that he/she is inherently good, he is FAR more likely to go out into the world and do good, than one who believes they were born in sin, and are evil from birth.

Of course that doctrine was only perpetrated by priests as job security.

Objectively or subjectively perfect?

Objectively. Also, no god is required for objective morality.

People THINK there's objective reality but I challenge you to a proof.

If objective reality doesn't exist then knowledge is only a limited subjective impression of reality. John Locke once illustrated this by immersing one hand in cold water, one hand in hot water, then placing both hands together in a bucket of warm water. One hand feels it as cold, the other feels it as hot. So, if the bucket of water is said to be "hot" or "cold" then we've made a subjective judgment of reality.

The problem is the concept doesn't hold up. We could, for example, put a thermometer into the bucket and describe the temperature in degrees. Thus the water is subjectively neither hot nor cold, but rather, it's objectively 50 degrees F. 

Objective reality must exist independently of conscious awareness that it exists. Subjective reality depends on conscious awareness that it exists. Perceptions of emotion, color, texture, and sound, for example, exist only when we experience them, and cease to exist when the experience ends.

There is overwhelming evidence that the solar system existed for billions of years before life (conscious or otherwise) first appeared on earth and became aware of it. That is proof of objective reality.

Reality is objective. Perception and judgment are subjective. Perception is mine. Judgment is mine. Belief is mine. Those are subjective. But reality is self-existing, whether anyone is there to perceive, judge, or believe it or not. Reality is objective. Reality does not exist because we think it does. Reality exists, regardless of our awareness or understanding that it does. Thought cannot create reality, it can only discover it.

As you say,  "Perception and judgment are subjective. Perception is mine. Judgment is mine. Belief is mine. Those are subjective." They are theory laden.  But as Nietzsche would say, while everything is seen  from some perspective, some interpretations, are better that others. Not only is there objectivity in this sense, but also in the sense that we can change our reality

I miswrote and it was too late to edit it. I meant to challenge Cathy Cooper on the matter of whether there is an objective morality. Whether there is an objective reality is another matter entirely. It would seem that all we have are our senses, which cannot always be trusted. Even if there is an external (to the mind) reality, our perceptions are necessarily subjective, so whether there is an "objective reality" depends upon what you mean: what we perceive (in which case the answer is no) or whatever is out there (in which case the answer is yes, because even if we have misperceptions, something would seen to have to cause them).

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 38 minutes ago. 54 Replies

What a ride!

Started by Strass Strass in Small Talk 5 hours ago. 0 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by _Robert_ 12 hours ago. 82 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service