Hypothetical Question - What would society be like if there were no consequences?

What kind of a society (sans a god) do you think we would have if everyone believed they were born bad,couldn't help but to do bad--but that it didn't matter because they would never get thrown in jail.

In my opinion--it would be and IS chaos, but it IS chaos due to the influence of Christianity which holds to the above meta theory.  (sin, repent, sin, repent--repeat when necessary without consequence)

So what is your view of a society that could do whatever they wanted to without consequences.

Tags: christianity, morality, sin

Views: 1254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Riders of the storm.... nice. 

If your parole boards free killers who re-offend, don't you have some kind of accounting?  The original sentence only allows parole to be sought after a minimum period of incarceration in the UK, is that the same in the USA?. 

However, although your example might be problematic (in the USA),  it isn't what the OP was asking.  I'm quite happy to sit down and thrash out a long debate on the pros and cons of a judicial system, there is certainly a lot of material there to be debated.  But the OP is asking for views on a society operating without consequences.  I think that's not feasible.

I think Cathy, based on her responses more than on the title was pointing out that since Christianity allows Jesus to suffer all the consequences for the sorrowful christian masses, that this fact could pervade a society. I happen to agree, it seems to displace guilt about doing wrong, with guilt about not attending and supporting church.

US Justices swear their oaths on the bible. Christian values pervade the US court system. Once a prisoner has served the minimum sentence, they begin eligibility for parole. There are a lot of reborn prisoners looking to get out!

I agree a society operating without consequences is not feasible, but those consequences are largely based on christian values in the US, IMHO.

Yes, the point of this discussion was to illustrate how pervasive the Christian dogma is, and how this dogma has influenced society--including atheists.  The belief that humans are "born sinners" and that all our heinous deeds will be forgiven without consequences, has as the ancient philosopher Pelagius noted log ago,promotes "moral laxity."--and he was right.

Societies themselves govern their moral compasses--gods are not required.

I think a lot of these commenters are missing your point, Cathy.

I was just going through the comments--and I have to agree with you.  It is unfortunate that those that consider themselves without a god--cannot see how the god or gods of whatever culture they are a part of, have influenced how they think. 

Having worked the prison environment and attended parole hearings I can tell you that the members of the parole board are a little more savvy to the theatrics of those being reviewed. Convicts who attest to "finding the lord" are looked at with a suspicious eyebrow and in light of the recidivism rate with good reason. 

So what is your view of a society that could do whatever they wanted to without consequences.

It's not really necessary to imagine such a society. Somalia and several other failed states show us the results of impunity at a population level. Those most willing and capable of using force to commit murder seize control of whatever they can. You end up with a patchwork society of warring factions and local strongmen, all killing each other. It adds an interesting perspective to the claims of Tea Party crackpots who say governments that govern least govern best. 

Actually, the T-Party may have echoed it, but it was Jefferson who said it first.

Actually, the T-Party may have echoed it, but it was Jefferson who said it first.

No, it wasn't

I didn't say he wrote it down - it was part of a personal conversation we had --

I think if there weren't there quickly would be. People would stay together for safety then they would become a tribe or a faction then in fear of that faction others would create a group then the strongest (whoever can kill the most) would  maybe even eventually become a government.

Anarchy is a stressful societal situation. Living each day like Mad Max takes it's toll on one's peace of mind. The hypothetical situation you presented is not very realistic. Organized groups of like minded individuals will not tolerate irresponsible and harmful behavior by any of it's members for obvious reasons. Thankfully we do not have to look to religion for guidance in maintaining a sane society. 

Repeatedly committing crimes against your fellow man and falling back on repentance has about as much logic as the fundamentalist religious notion of "once saved, always saved."

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service