I live in Cleveland where the local pro baseball team is named The Cleveland Indians. Their logo looks like this:

I'd really love for my hometown's baseball team to change its name. 

Somehow, the problem with this sort of naming and imaging convention escapes most people. In fact, many will defend it as positive due its referencing the bravery and fierceness of the Native Americans. Maybe the problem could be made more plain if instead of a logo based on the incorrectly named American "Indians" we used one based on a Hindu warrior instead (sadly, I couldn't find an example through Google). 

Or how about a total overhaul changing the name and the ethnicity. The Cleveland Jews with a logo of a grinning rabbi?

Strangely, this controversy rarely comes up in Cleveland, though it's going on right now fueled by a letter from the baseball commissioner to congress defending the practice.

Maybe the Redskins should consider changing it's name to the Washington Jews. Cleveland can go after some other ethnicity.

What do you think?

Tags: controversy, mascot, sports, team

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love the idea.  Probably not enough to start watching baseball, but it's a step in the right direction.  It reminds me of the time someone told me about an upcoming car that would be named the Honda Jew.  It "stops on a dime, and then picks it up". 

I got your cheerleaders!

Not exactly Dallas Cowboy material, but whaddaya gonna do --?

That must be the new style of phylatery they're wearing there.

I never thought of them as collecting stamps --

Oops. Left the "c" out of "phylactery." 

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service