Technology has advanced and the time has come to put up a successor to the Hubble Space Telescope.  NASA is well on the way to a next generation space telescope but to my horror, they've chosen to call it the James Webb Space Telescope!

"Who the hell is James Webb?" you might ask.  Well, he was a lawyer and a bureaucrat. He happened to be the top administrator of NASA through the glory years of Gemini and Apollo, but he was not a scientist.

Is anyone else offended by having a piece of advanced technology named after a bureaucrat?  I'm fine with putting his name on a government building, but I think the next generation space telescope should be named after a scientist - perhaps Carl Sagan.

Should we protest?

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Reg!

Looks like some goodies in there.  Downloading as I type this.

Thanks to everyone for replying.  I'm not stuck on it being the Sagan Scope -> but I really really want it named after a scientist.  I just feel that if science has any 'sex appeal' to the young generation, it's in making that big discovery, turning your name into a household word, getting formulas, technological marvels, and stars named after you.  I just feel very strongly that something that will be as high profile as the next generation space telescope should be named after an interesting scientist in order maximize scientific inspiration.

I think Sagan is the perfect choice. If you'd like to start a petition, I could possibly help with that.

The Orgasmatron, Blaine?

Wasn't that the device used in the early Jane Fonda movie, "Barbarella"? As I recall, she burned out its circuits --

Especially Lee Marvin and his horse!

Ahhh, the comforting sound of whispering bones creaking with antiquity fills my imagination as you venerable historical giants reminisce...

Yo Mama wears Army  boots --

Yes, Arch - let's start a petition, however that is done.

I completely agree with designating it the Sagan Space Telescope.

It does not seem that we are at the stage of a signature collection, but I would be willing sign the petition, when it appears. Actually I would be willing to consider a petition to fund a Mars habitat project, or asteroid mining. I would rather listen to a space, heavy breathing scandal any day.

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 46 minutes ago. 9 Replies

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service