If you had to choose your top 10 rules for living a moral life, what would be in it?

Tags: commandments

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do no harm.

I'd love to rewrite the 10 commandments, but Jerry Springer beat me to it, and did a better job than I ever could. In fact, he reduced the ten, to one, and closed his show with it: "Be good to yourselves, and each other."

Do we really need more than that?

Now that you mention it, it sounds like it may be all we need.

1. Be excellent to each other.
2. Party on, dudes.
3-10. Refer to 1 and 2.

The Gospel According to Bill and Ted --

Damn right!

Excellent!

1. Don't be an asshole

2. Don't be an idiot

(I don't need 10)

1) Use reason.

2) Do no harm.

3) Take no action that limits the freedom of another

Rule 1. Load your gun.

Rules 2 through 9. Shoot to kill.

I'm pissed off at my printer; it keeps going offline.

Okay, that's out of my system.

I read the rules folks have suggested and conclude that many are suitable only for a world in which --  be warned; I'm about to plagiarize someone -- men and women are angels.

Wouldn't it be nice if none of that ancient pondscum had evolved to become sociopaths? Or to tea party republicans who want to return us to the law of the jungle?

I found this alternative 10 Commandments online:

1. You shall not worry, for worry is the most unproductive of all human activities.

2. You shall not be fearful, for most of the things we fear never come to pass.

3. You shall not carry grudges, for they are the heaviest of all life’s burdens.

4. You shall face each problem as it comes. You can only handle one at a time anyway.

5. You shall not take problems to bed with you, for they make very poor bedfellows.

6. You shall not borrow other people’s problems. They can better care for them than you.

7. You shall not try to relive yesterday for good or ill, it is forever gone. Concentrate on what is happening in your life and be happy now.

8. You shall be a good listener, for only when you listen do you hear ideas different from your own.

9. You shall not become bogged down by frustration, for 90% of it is rooted in self-pity and will only interfere with positive action.

10. You shall count your blessings, never overlooking the small ones, for a lot of small blessings add up to a big one. ~ Author Unknown

U, I like these ten as much as I dislike that ancient ten. Methinks I'll use them in a Toastmasters club speech. Thanks.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 35 minutes ago. 182 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.