Yesterday while making breakfast for my 10 year old cousin, out of the blue, she asked "Do you believe in God?'

I hesitated for a moment and asked if she wanted an honest answer.  She said yes, so I said no, I don't believe there is a god.

Do you think I was right in being honest with a 10 year old.  I will add that she did not follow up with any questions or comments.   And that she is a very smart 10 year old.

Tags: honesty, questions

Views: 550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, always be honest, and also expressing the reasons why you yourself dont believe in a god, providing a number of reasons(well in fact there are a lot of reasons).

I think the best approach with kids is usually to just answer their question, and any follow-up questions. It's best not to pile on.

Or censore. My girlfriend's sister was very curious about why i don't believe in god only to shut me up before i even answer. I'm willing to bet an arm in that she thought that something has been hidden from her. It doesn't help her cause that the smartest and sweetest people she knows are not that religious and/or atheists.

Your girlfriend's sister doesn't want to hear anything that conflicts with her beliefs.

I missexpress myself, sorry. My girlfriend was the one stopping me to explain to her sister why i don't believe. I really need to start proof reading.

Never tell a child more than they ask for, it can cause sensory overload.

Yes...I would have been honest.  The preachers fill the children's heads with their fantasies.  I believe they also deserve to know that there are people don't believe.

Why wouldn't you be honest with her? We lie enough to children as it is, lies about important things. Lies like, "you can be what ever you want when you grow up." If that one were true, there would be a couple million astronauts, princesses, and knights running around. Seems like the only people who got that wish granted where the cowboys, and most of them are assholes.

I say tell your children the truth about everything, but be sure to fix that damage by giving them hope. Because you can't be whatever you want when you grow up, but if you work really hard, you actually can change the world for the better.

Do you think I was right in being honest with a 10 year old.  I will add that she did not follow up with any questions or comments.   And that she is a very smart 10 year old.

Leave it to religion to make a man question if it's right to be truthful. I think you know the answer to that one, Ron. The side of the truth is generally the right side to be on.

I gather the heart of the matter is less about being truthful and more about (1) should you intrude on a family member's effort to brainwash a child into a religion while the child is too young to resist, and (2) in so doing, should you risk facing an outraged religious crackpot (who is a family member) if you do.

It's a tough call. My answer is, it all depends, but I lean toward operation: monkey wrench.

I let it be known to my nephew and niece long ago that most people believe in God, but some don't and I'm one of the people who don't. I explained the reason why (lack of evidence) and that most believers get very angry at people who don't believe. I told them your Dad doesn't like me talking about it, but I'll talk about it any time you ask me, whether he's there or not. My nephew has taken me up on it a few times, sometimes with my brother there, and sometimes on his own. My brother grumbled, but I emphasized the honesty angle and that quieted him down.

My nephew no longer asks me, but I know the seeds of rebellion were planted. He hates church now, all the more that he is forced to go, and rolls his eyes at references to the Bible and Jesus. He'll figure the rest out on his own. Mission accomplished.

Three things hard to hide it, the sun and the moon and the truth.

No more foma! No more foma!

It would depend on the situation, but being 10 years old and actually asking an adult the God question, she is ready to think for herself.

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Stephen Gunn 2 hours ago. 10 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 2 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 7 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 16 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service