We all know of the big debate within the American school system: teaching intelligent design. It seems all that I am hearing from that side is "evolution is not true! fill the gap with god!" However, I haven't heard one thing about the actual curriculum of intelligent design. They say "Teach the Controversy!" but what exactly do they want to teach? I'm also quite puzzled how they will teach anything in biology (specially as a honors high school course) without invoking the word evolution. From what I can gather, it seems the entire class would be spent just 'debuking' evolution and not actually teaching anything that would progress our nation's students.

Has anyone here seen any sort of curriculum guide? textbooks? or even evidence of an intelligent designer/agent?

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly, Raymond.  Bringing up ID in the science classroom is an excellent way to teach or review the scientific method as distinct from a set of rote learned "faith based" scientific facts that is the usually taught curriculum in American classrooms.  The lesson can be applied to all kinds of examples of pseudo-science and pseudo-medicine.  Kids can be equipped with a method to evaluate the claims of these ideologies and recognize the tricks played by marketing consultants.

Imagine the effect that this would have on American teaching and educational credibility if it were to become the norm! 

If I were asked to teach Creationism I would set out the claims made by the IDiots and then calmly show why they did not meet the criteria for a "science".  I would then quiz the kids on the elements of the scientific method and get them to confirm that the ID claims do not fit this model.   I would then say that since ID  isn't a science it does not rate being discussed at any length in a science classroom instead of evidence-based material that is obtained as the result of correctly applying the scientific method. And it certainly does not qualify as a set of claims that should be considered as equal to any real science-based facts and information.

Finally, I would claim that the scientifically obtained evidence overwhelmingly concludes that the two Genesis creation stories are both myths - one from the north of Israel who worshiped the El god and one from the south of Israel who worshiped the Yahweh god.  I would say that reputable historians and archeologists provide evidence that these myths were borrowed from the Caananites (or was it the Babylonians?).  On the grounds that History is more of an art than a science and should therefore not be taking up time in the science classroom,  I would offer to provide a simplified overview of the historical evidence to anyone was prepared to stay after school for an hour or two. 

I would finish by saying that science deals in facts, not mythology and mysticism.  If anyone feels that the scientific facts do not support their religious beliefs then it is up to them to fit their beliefs around the facts, not for science to accommodate their religious beliefs.  ID has not provided any legitimate facts to support its claims; it has only provided specious objections to the extremely well-supported explanation of how evolution works (the Theory of Evolution).  If anyone thinks that they know of actual facts supporting the Creation Claim then they are free to present them and allow the class to test them to see if they actually meet the criteria for an evidence-based scientific "fact". 

I don't like to use the term "Intelligent Design" because that is just creationism repackaged with a new title (after creationism was shot down in Dover)

Fine, as long as the students can opt out, call it an after school club.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service