We all know of the big debate within the American school system: teaching intelligent design. It seems all that I am hearing from that side is "evolution is not true! fill the gap with god!" However, I haven't heard one thing about the actual curriculum of intelligent design. They say "Teach the Controversy!" but what exactly do they want to teach? I'm also quite puzzled how they will teach anything in biology (specially as a honors high school course) without invoking the word evolution. From what I can gather, it seems the entire class would be spent just 'debuking' evolution and not actually teaching anything that would progress our nation's students.

Has anyone here seen any sort of curriculum guide? textbooks? or even evidence of an intelligent designer/agent?

Tags: creationism, creationist, design, intelligent, school

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

[like] LOL

Is it sad that I could immediately tell that it was satire, not because of the points listed but off the grammar and punctuation?

Or am I just a grammar nazi?

If ever Intelligent Design is introduced in American schools, I suggest all rational people chip in and build a huge ark so you can get the hell out of there.

The first part in the syllabus would have to be labeled "If It Doesn't Make Sense (then you're getting it right)".
Agreed. When I took Biology in high school, my teacher skipped over evolution completely. I remember her saying, "Who wants to learn about how we could have came from monkeys anyways..." I was a Christian then and laughed with the rest of the class. . . Knowing what I know now, I would have ripped that teacher apart [intellectually].

Here is their "curriculum guide":

1) There are gaps in the fossil record (not really)

2) It's not in the Bible (so what?)

3) A watch is intelligently designed (true), so my eye must be also (not true).

Day 1, Lesson #1: Evolution can't be true because there are gaps in the fossil record; it's not in the Bible; and the eye is like a watch.

Day 2, Lesson #2: Repeat lesson #1

Days 3 through 175:  Repeat as desired.

No time left for the lie of godless scientists.

Seriously, the ID'ers have nothing to teach.  Everything they profess can be covered in one 15 minute lesson, after which there will be no discussion whatsoever of what 99.9% of the world's biologists have known for 152 years based upon an a virtual mountain of irrefutable evidence and inescapable logic.

The sad reality is that, as we speak (or write), there is next to nothing about evolution being taught below the college level in American schools.  The very FEW teachers who understand it themselves are fearful of angry reaction from fundamentalist parents.

I just went to a Christian Reformed Church College for two years. It's a prestigious school (within the Dutch CRC community lol), but I got to witness first hand how they spread this crap in the name of education.

Faculty does this in two ways, some of them systematically, others because they are just administrative pawn pieces.

First: Philisophically. Christian Apologetics use inductive reasoning to try and prove the possibility of the existence of a God-like being. The most popular arguments used by Philosophy Dept. staff at Calvin College was Anselm's Ontological Argument. This can be found here: Anselm. To sum it up, it's a belief-biased argument which is really reaching. Christian 'philosophers' eat that shit up though. And in CRC private schools which are mainly members of the Dutch C.R.C. community they try to pass off 'higher education' without informing students that it is inconclusive and scientifically primitive. I often went to class and sat in the back rolling my eyes constantly when I could get my instructor's attention. 

Second: Biologically and Life Cycle. This one actually makes me kind of sick. Especially, considering the fact that staff in this department are mainly tenured senior citizens who have become the foot soldiers for the brain washing. Sitting in a biology class at Calvin you could see how lectures were set up to use cell structure and attributes of the human body to prove that only an intelligent creator (who happens to be Jesus' Dad) exists. 

Understanding how they work is a truly fascinating but dehumanizing experience.

THere was a recent complaint by a parent IDiot who objected to the science text mentioning Creationist claims and noting that they are based on "biblical myths".  He made it quite clear that "teaching the controversy" did not mean saying anything nasty about "Creationism" or ID although it also seemed clear that it would involve saying nasty things about "evilution". 

It is a very dishonest approach.

I doubt it could even be taught as a subject. ID has no data, no evidence, it isn't a theory, it has no grounding. Where would one start? How can you teach nothing?

It's good to hear your teacher was upset about. Do you remember anything specific that was taught? 

I'm trying to find out what the curriculum for an ID class would be. . So far, it doesn't seem like they have leg to stand on.

See, that's the whole part I don't get. How is it allowed to teach a 'feeling'...I think we need to stop babying the religious and teach the FACTS!

Still, it is really good to hear you had a teacher who understands evolution. My biology teacher just skipped right over it followed by "Who wants to learn how we came from monkeys anyways"

I can't believe a teacher actually said "Who wants to learn how we came from monkeys anyways."  (Well, I do believe it, but it's still unbelievable)

Welcome to South Carolina....& too, back then I was a Christian so I agreed with her. It's sad to think about. Oh how I wish I knew what I know now!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service