So I was looking for stats on how many atheists were once theists of some type or another (still haven;t found it-- so could use some help) and I found this page. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist-to-Become-Christian. 

I thought it was interesting in the fact they try to keep Christians aware of logical fallacies.. 

I know how we feel about religion already, what I'm wondering are your views on this primer for converting atheists...

Views: 2738

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SCR - RE: "Not sure but of late atheist numbers are growing and the religions are falling." - that's exactly why they're trying so hard to get religion back in the schools.

I know this is an Atheist board and I am an Atheist so I feel compelled to join in and talk about how silly the article was...but actually I kinda liked it.

Compared to the multitude of things it could have said (I haven't seen a lot of self editing in the Theist world where they stop and think, this makes absolutely no sense...I better rethink this) it seems to be pretty tolerant and respectful for the most part.

From their point of view they are "saving" anyone they can convert.  In a very similar way that I think I am "saving" someone a lot of time if I can expand their world by showing them what it is like to be a freethinker.

I actually think this might be a secret recipe for converting Theists into Atheists.  If the steps are actually followed (steps 4 and 5 be knowledgeable about Christianity and familiarize yourself with Atheist arguments) this leads to the exact same evidence I use to support my position.  The Bible (also religion in general) endorses all kinds of abhorrent things like Slavery and the Atheist arguments make much more sense such as the problem of evil.

As Penn Jillette once said,"the Bible itself, will turn you atheist faster than anything."

http://bigthink.com/videos/reading-the-bible-or-the-koran-or-the-to...

Atheism is a great deal more than just a rejection of gods and devils. It is an understanding of the physical world which measurably negates any reference to that which is non-physical. It is the profound support for evidence and a rejection of the impossibility of physicality being influenced by non-physicality. Faith in anything at all is a real possibility for those conditioned to be credulous. Therefore it is safe to say with a high degree of certainty that once an atheist always an atheist unless of course one is conditioned otherwise....which is what usually happens to humans in a usual cultural environment from the time they are very young. Every human it is very safe to say is born an atheist. People need ignorance in their world and very ignorant parents, peers and other influences to create their "faith".

Can't quite agree with you, Joe. Certainly I'd say that an understanding of the physical world which measurably negates any reference to that which is non-physical would lead to atheism, but being an atheist does not necessarily mean that one has that understanding. There are atheists who believe in things like ghosts, spirit energy, and other supernatural woo, they just don't believe in deities.

I'm not entirely opposed to very attractive persuadreses.

Who am I kidding, I'd be willing to entertain reasonably attractive persuadreses --

Misty, where are you when I need you?

Can't say - ask Misty Baytheist, our board's sexual adventuress --

"Not" - as Sienfeld would say - "that there's anything wrong with that --"

Who knows, red may be a good color for you --

Actually, I'm a little concerned that Misty may hurt me - and enjoy it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that --

Here's the entire joke, for those who may not know:

A masochist and a sadist got married, on their wedding night, the masochist said, "Hurt me!" - the sadist sneered, and said, "No."

We can only assume they lived happily ever after.

Uldis, for a non-American, you seem to know more about things American, than many Americans!

They would have to take my iq down a few points with a crowbar or other blunt object before they could get me to even consider it. Life is simply more fun when the answer is something other than "God did it."

Here's another poll, though not very scientific - anybody want to tackle this clown's assertions?

My Second Question To Atheists Results: Do you say there is no evidence for God?

Here is the tally:

Say there is no evidence for God – 5

Using “God” with a little “g” - 4

Weak or “not enough” evidence – 3

No straight answer – 2

“No” evidence is weak (wishy-washy) 1

No “good evidence”
First to say there is “no evidence” for God is a terribly weak statement. It is impossible to look at all the evidence in the world to make a blind faith statement like that.

“Weak” or “Not enough” evidence. What would you claim to be “not so weak” or “Enough” evidence? If you can't answer that question have you really are not an atheist at all, at best you are an agnostic.

“No Straight answer” is self explanatory. Bringing up mythological characters always seems to a be an answer to the agnostic/atheist. At least they are consistent.

No chance or the reverse for me.
I met enough Christian to shut my brain cells to oblivion ..

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service