So I was looking for stats on how many atheists were once theists of some type or another (still haven;t found it-- so could use some help) and I found this page. 

http://www.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist-to-Become-Christian. 

I thought it was interesting in the fact they try to keep Christians aware of logical fallacies.. 

I know how we feel about religion already, what I'm wondering are your views on this primer for converting atheists...

Views: 2727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with your sentiment about the fact that if the theist follows this guide, they may actually get to be heard at some point, but completing the conversion of a true atheist? No, I don't think they would be at all successful. It would be amusing, however, to be the target of such. One factual piece would be that atheists definitely can refute everything with scientific fact and evidence. How do you disagree with actual fact, that has been proven time and again? It's not possible. Rational minds would never attempt conversion of an atheist due to this alone. Christianity is based on faith, and faith alone. If it makes my christian family member feel better to try and convert me, I say, go for it. Try as hard as you would like, but in the end, (and they know this because they stopped trying years ago) factual scientific proof will win out every time. That's all there is to it.

That being said, very interesting article. I do wonder if this format has ever been successful in converting someone who has studied the bible and its fairy tales, and found the scientific answers for each of the scenarios the bible lists?

The article has so much bad advice, I almost couldn't tell if it was real or if it was a parody. 

I think I could respect someone who took this approach.  I liked that the article encourages readers to read more or research more, to understand or dispel some misconceptions they may have about atheists, to set up a two way street, and to accept that in the end you may still disagree.  I don't know how often it would actually work, but if a genuine friendship forms then maybe that's besides the point.  As Gallup's Mirror pointed out, there are definitely some problems in the article (e.g., the idea that scientists are atheist or christian, the idea that atheists twist science in their favor), but in the end I think the good outweighed the bad.

When I read it, and thought about how that might play out, it seemed to me that the Christian might very easily be converted to atheism during the exchanges that occur under this technique.

When I read it, and thought about how that might play out, it seemed to me that the Christian might very easily be converted to atheism during the exchanges that occur under this technique.

Dang it Strega you've up and let the cat out of the bag!

I was thinking the same thing when I read it. 

I agree Strega, if the christian person following the advice given in his article and wanting to do the conversion, studied in depth enough to see the Atheist point of view, they would likely see the fallacies of all faith based religions and concede to the Atheist side.Maybe it is really an Atheist plot to convert christians!

As Gallup's Mirror pointed out, there are definitely some problems in the article (e.g., the idea that scientists are atheist or christian, the idea that atheists twist science in their favor)

That's what I find most troubling about the article.

'Christian science' no more exists than 'Christian chemistry' or 'Christian physics' or 'Christian mathematics'. The term is just a (dishonest) euphemism for someone with scientific training who by necessity disregards the scientific method where religion is concerned. That or it means someone with a degree in Theology which is not even a legitimate subject let alone a science. Likewise, the reference to "scientific orthodoxy" smacks of the usual tiresome 'science is a religion' nonsense.

I appreciate how the article encourages Christians to treat atheists with respect, so in that regard a more fitting article title would be "How a Christian may Befriend an Atheist".

I couldn't stop laughing reading through the article. Seems very humorous 

Familiarize yourself with Atheist arguments. If you're going to present an argument for your beliefs, skim over what atheists have said about such arguments in the past. This may show interest and respect for the other person's thoughts and time

Most Atheists would send a theist running with their tail behind their back. I can't really see this working at all. Most Christians will almost fail at this.

Giving theists a little slack might be ok. Remember ignorance is not overcome over night, unless 'god', or a very good computer model is involved. It might not be exactly true, but a theist could be a pre-atheist....

This reminds me of some 'man-show' monologue on how to get women into bed.

1. Try to imagine yourself in her position.  If you had a vagina, would you want all your friends trying to punch that thing?  Remember that she may have already made up her mind not to have sex and failing to respect that decision may result in felony charges.

2. Be prepared to have your masculinity challenged!  You may be presented with some awful anecdotes about male behavior.  While it is important to empathize, one must be careful not to apologize lest such an apology be construed as an admission of guilt.

3. Be prepared to have a genuine conversation with them. Show interest in what they are saying. If your only interest is in bedding someone, you are not likely to get a warm audience.

4. Be knowledgeable about sex.  Although some women may come across as real prudes, it is likely that they spend a lot of time fantasizing about sex and therefore you must do your homework.

5. Be knowledgeable about feminist rebuttals.  Check forums and blogs to find out which lines have been tried and which are shot down in the most humiliating manner.  Remember, most women will spend more time turning men down than the average man will spend trying to turn them on - develop your repertoire and practice your delivery.

I remember one time that I cried just after I and a gal friend 'did it'. She sort of felt honored by the experience. A male crying, after sex, weird...Wow....

A sensitive newage male with more brain cells than normal, double weird....

RSS

Forum

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Quincy Maxwell 6 minutes ago. 10 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 27 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 8 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 11 hours ago. 22 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 10 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service