How to make knife crime skyrocket. It's easier than you think.

People who want a gun control "success" to point to often refer to the UK. And there are fewer gun deaths in the UK. But, you know what? There are now an unsettling number of knife incidents there! "In the UK, the rate of knife violence is approximately one in every 374 people victimized, compared with a rate of one in 750 people victimized by gun violence in the United States." (source)

So, naturally, the folks whose approach to every problem involves banning something (you know, because it's worked so well with drugs) are talking about eliminating knives as much as possible. In fact, if they keep it up and succeed, it'll eventually turn out  that candlesticks and fireplace pokers will have to be made out of flubber! and baseball players will have to get their nerf bats out of a police lockup. That is, if they can pass the psychological hurdles.

One of the craziest notions related to knives is that some British physicians association (none of whom must cook for themselves, apparently) have decided that in the UK, long cooking and kitchen knives should not have points! They claim that they consulted 10 chefs who told them long pointy knives aren't essential in a well-stocked kitchen. First of all, no professional cook I've ever talked to about this would feel a kitchen lacking big pointy knives would be well-stocked. Secondly, I'd like to point out that cleavers are knives without points, and so I suppose you can't do much damage with a cleaver(?). 

The point of this post is that banning weapons won't ban murder. You can't ban carpet knives or box cutters because knives, while they can be used as weapons, are among the most useful of tools. Even if it's a knife, like a combat knife, specifically designed for the kill, it can still cut a shoulder strap to get an unconscious accident victim out of a car or dress a deer or chop twigs for kindling. More than one person has been saved from fire or drowning because another citizen had a knife on his person.

If we have a murder problem, it's not a hardware issue, it's a personnel problem.

Views: 520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand that in some cases .22's can do more damage than heavier shells which might do a fairly clean in and out, especially in the head, a .22 can have enough force to enter but not exit, so instead it ricochets around inside the skull a bit, doing considerable damage.

Glad to year that your friend survived.

Think about this; guns may be more lethal and may be useful to someone whose intent is multiple deaths, but is it a good tradeoff if the result if eliminating a lot of guns and making possession more difficult is an overall increase in violent assaults and a greater culture of violence on the street?

Sounds like a "six of one" situation at best.

Why do you trust that source for your stats, and why not include a knife victim stat for the U.S.?

This isn't a research paper on my part. If you have better stats show them.

I'm not doing a this country is better than that country thing here. 

This isn't a research paper on my part. If you have better stats show them.

Naw, I'm good. Go enjoy without better stats.

I'm not doing a this country is better than that country thing here.

Who said you were? I just think that both knife and gun stats are more relevant than knife or gun stats alone, if you want to compare knife and gun violence in two countries. E.g. what if gun violence in the U.S. is in addition to (say) 1/374 knife victims in the U.S.?

Btw It is a personal problem. Not just for the perp but for the victim(s). Definitely a personal problem to parents of the kids in SandyHook Elementary. Also a problem to the family and parents of the people killed at a theater showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Colorado. It's very personal to them. 

You know, after Sandyhook and the massacre of all those little boys and girls i said "okay America can we wake up now?". Nothing. Not one goddamn thing! Nothing has changed. That's why I wished that the media would have been given permission by the victims families to air footage of their loved ones laying in pools of blood. Because it seems to me that seeing is believing and most of us say we give a shit but the majority of the time, since it doesn't directly affect us, we don't do dick.

Unseen: What exactly is your stance on guns and gun control?

RE "In fact, if they keep it up and succeed, it'll eventually turn out  that candlesticks and fireplace pokers will have to be made out of flubber!"

LOL!!!! Dumbasses....they obviously don't know how easy it is to make a shank.

Unlike guns, which are becoming easier to make with today's 3D printers, you can easily make a knife with some very basic tools. Or, just take an ordinary kitchen knife, grind it till it has a point, sharpen the edge, and wrap some stuff around the handle and you have a nasty little knife. 

While it's been pointed out that knives are an "up close and personal" weapon, mostly they are a surprise weapon. I believe there are some fairly obvious rules when it comes to using a knife in anger:

1) don't get into a knife fight (you know: face to face like in the movies)

2) Use the knife before the other person knows you have it (weapons should be felt, not seen)

I believe these common sense rules apply in gang situations and in prison situations. 

Unfortunately, to use a knife with some legal cover, you probably need to wait until the other tuy leaves a mark on you or draws blood. It'd be hard to seriously prosecute someone for using a knife when it can be shown to be self defense, even if they weren't allowed a knife under the law. At most, a wrist slap.

While it's true that "correlation isn't the same as causality," it can be. How to explain the fact that the UK in the years since the war has had an increasing crime rate in paralell to it becoming increasingly more difficult for private citizens to own guns until, today,the UK has the highest crime rate in Europe and a crime rate actual...?

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609. In the UK it's 2034 crimes per 100,000, about 4.4 times the rate in the US!

Most gun control laws seem to apply to restricting gun ownership, but there's nothing stopping a bad guy from committing murder or some other serious crime with a gun he doesn't actually own (he stole it, bought a stolen gun, etc.).

So you found an article from 2009, but even that one says (regarding how "violent crime" is defined differently in different countries):

In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured.

If the statistics don't compare apples to apples (as they also don't in your OP at the top), how can it lead you to any valid conclusion about each country? I should hope that we try to be evidence based here in our assertions. (Would you be ok with just comparing drive-by shootings to drive-by knifings?)

Over the last few years, Tennessee has relaxed many restrictions on gun carry permits. Gun control opponents have been qick to point out a reduction in violent crime since the laws changed. what they don't ,mention is that the started going down two years befor the laws changed. They also fail to mention the increase in handgun related crime. as well as a considerable reduction in crimes involving knives, blunt instruments, axes and rifles It should be interesting to add the 2015 TIBRS data in when it comes out next year..

I often hear that you can't kill as many people with a knife as with a gun. Not really true. If you talk about one person with a gun on a killing spree vs. one person with a knife, what can be done with a knife might surprise you (a couple other non-gun weapons included): 

Arson, Stabbing Rampage in Seoul South Korea: 10/20/2008. 6 people dead, 5 from stabbing. 7 others wounded, 4 seriously. An angry man felt people “looked down on him.”

Anti-police stabbing spree in Shanghai, China: 7/2008. 6 Police Officers stabbed to death, 4 wounded. 28 year old man angry at police attacked a police station with a knife.

Akihabara Massacre, Chiyoda City, Tokyo, Japan: 6/8/2008. 7 people killed (3 struck by car, 4 by stabbing), many more injured. Man slammed into a crowd with his car, then jumped out and began stabbing people to death.

18 year old slashes 4 to death in Sitka, Alaska, US: 3/25/2008. 4 people killed. 18 year old (old enough to purchase a rifle over the counter) kills 4 people, related to him, with a 5 inch knife.

Stabbing Spree kills 2, Tsuchiura, Japan: 3/23/2008. 2 killed, 7 wounded. Man “just wanted to kill anyone.”

Stabbing spree wounds 41, 6 seriously in Berlin Train Station: 5/26/2006. 41 wounded, 6 seriously. Thankfully no one died in this attack, but not for lack of trying on the part of the drunk 16 year old.

4 killed in stabbing spree in London, UK: 9/2004. 4 killed, 2 wounded. Mentally ill man attacks mostly older people.

6 killed over Xbox dispute in Deltona, Florida, US: 8/6/2004. 6 killed. 4 men (all old enough to legally purchase firearms) bludgeon 6 people to death with baseball bats over purloined Xbox.

Daegu subway fire, Daegu, South Korea: 2/18/2003. 198 killed, 147 injured. A 56 year old unemployed taxi driver, dissatisfied with his medical treatment, sets fire to a crowded train.

Osaka School Massacre, Osaka Japan: 6/8/2001. 8 children dead, 13 other children and 2 teachers wounded. Committed by 37 year old former janitor armed with a kitchen knife.

This looks like some kind of "top 10 in a world of 6 billion people, since 2001". I wonder how it compares to gun violence (not even counting accidents and children) in the U.S., with only .35 billion people.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service