My wife and I are expecting a baby boy around June 25th.  It will be our first child together and my parents 1st grandchild.

They are fanatical born again roman catholics.  They converted when I was 14 from having almost no religous views at all.  

The other day, my father, presumptiously asked (mind you, he knows my views) "So where are you getting the baby baptised" 

I replied that we were not and he informed me that if our baby dies w/o being baptised he wont go to "heaven" and he soul wont be saved.. 

I was respectful and told him that is was my choice and thats the way it is. 

Now, I know the issue is not over and he just wont stop with voicing his disapproval..its constant. 

Anyone ever have to deal with a set of parents that just cant leave it alone?  they are not gonna stop.. any advice is appreciated.

Did I mention they are hard core born again roman catholics?  ugh!

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to post their advice and opinions.  Its always nice to know that others have the same issues and concerns. 

First of all, congratulations on your little one!

I'm kind of in your boat, actually, as I am expecting and have religious parents. My mom is a Jehovah's Witness and raised me under that belief system. There's no baptism of babies in that particular branch of Christianity, but I KNOW she's going to be pestering me about whether or not I'm going to go back to the Kingdom Hall for the baby, or whether or not I'm reading the Bible Stories bedtime storybook to him or her. I keep telling her, "We'll see..." even though I really don't have any intention of ever doing it. I hate lying to her, but telling her that I've completely lost my religion would hurt her pretty bad. Still not sure how to approach that one...

My mother-in-law is a devout Catholic. I'm not sure if she's going to insist that my husband and I get the baby baptized or not. Something in me thinks she's going to, and I'm REALLY not sure how I'm going to approach that one! She knows we don't believe in that stuff at all, but she doesn't know I've gone agnostic-leaning-toward-atheism. My husband has jumped on that wagon with me, which I have to admit is a surprise. I didn't think he'd reject Christianity so readily when I told him how I really felt not long ago. Still, this is an issue I don't know how to deal with. I have some time to come up with a plan on what to say if she brings it up, or if either of them brings up anything religious in general. But I worry there will be trouble if the truth comes out...

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service