Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 4912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah sorry i am too busy to type it all.

If only we could cut and paste those articles into our heads. We could then cut and paste our replies as well.

Richard's been busy with the cut and paste feature on his 'puter all night. It saddens me to see a grown man flail around in a mental fog....NAY, it doesn't...:D

@ Gregg R Thomas: LMAO. Poor guy.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

There's a reason we say the Bible is full of contradictions.

I like the fact that you don't have a personal opinion about anything, and instead have to copy paste verses from the bible and other books. You're like a monkey that learned to communicate with humans by holding up cardboard signs with words on them. Whenever you're pushed into a corner you resort to quoting your cult myths. The bible is not a body of work you can reference. Any of my professors would've given me an F had I quoted the bible as a reliable source in any of my reports; just as if I had listed Harry Potter as a reference for why magic and witches are real.

is.gdCrunchbase: is.gd is a company (Consumer Web), acquired by Memset.

You can't claim free will after setting out a group of rules and threatening an eternal barbeque for not following them - true free will doesn't involve punishments.

How can you claim free will for poor old Pharaoh in Exodus, when your own book says your god hardened his heart?

Richard, justice is all about right and wrong, what you deserve is what is supposed to be.  

If we are all supposed to be in hell, why does a perfect being like God have desires opposite of what is actually supposed to be?  A perfect God would not desire anything other than what is supposed to be because he would fully understand why something is supposed to be.

That means the incarnation, the cross, salvation ect are all a game, because if something is already "supposed to be" why do you have to play gymnastics like all those things to just put what is supposed to be in place?  It is completely unnecessary.  It isn't just to exploit legal loopholes that violate the intent of the law, and plus he made the law after he knew the consequences, so he created the problem.

And you can't say you as a Christian ever was supposed to be in hell, because obviously God thought you never were supposed to be there.

I kind of like that, John.

Thanks Strega.  I think that the best way to address Christianity is to take on its most core claims.  Without this atonement justified, Christ has no reason for being, and Christianity falls.  

Though I don't want to use this too much, because normally I am not in the business of deconverting people.  Sometimes they annoy me though.   Plus I want to put it in a book eventually.  I can tell this Richard character is not a humble loving Christian, so I don't feel bad dropping this one.  

Why act like a sheep Richard.  You seem to be saying that a fictional book of tribal myths, no more real that the myths in the Illiad or Beowulf; this book having been translated from multiple languages not contemporaneously by various translators (men) with questionable aptitude and purpose, and vastly edited by men, all of whom have been fallible humans; has some legitimacy and accuracy for us to use it as a prescription for our lives?

Grow up. Fiction is just fiction. If we were to believe everything we are told in books we would have billions of impossible creatures moving about amonst us from Marvel superheroes to Norse ice giants.

There is no hell, no heaven, no god, no devil, or angels,nor any number of supernatural (i.e. unreal) creatures you believe in.

If it is evil when you have the power to protect a tortured child and in your belief, your god allows that child to be tortured, then your god is necessarily evil in your own view every day.  Either that or your god has no power.

So which of the only 3 possible answers is your god? :

1. Non-existent

2. Powerless

or

3. Evil

No God or angels? Please don't tell me there are no leprechauns, either! I so want that pot o' gold!

Would a child humourously dressed with a green hat and a ginger beard, and pot of gold paint do?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 182 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.