Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 5336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The church was just not in the position to negotiate details about orbital dynamics, or the gravitational constant....

While Richard's comment is sarcastic and abrasive... he does make a valid point. Most people are curious and inventive people. Humans seem to have an instinctual ability to make and use tools. Just because someone is religious, doesn't mean that person is incapable of discovering, "new things, perhaps new forms of transport, or medicine."

While I do agree that religious doctrine can and in some specific ways does close off discussion, new ideas, and curiosity (all one has to do is look to theological arguments against stem cell research practices for a more recent example), it doesn't mean that theism as a whole prevents invention and discovery or asking the question "why." If that was the case, then this (which proudly and ironically claims Galileo as a member) wouldn't exist.

On the other hand, it seems where supernatural belief is not strong or important in human history is where advances in science and thought are more prevalent (Athens, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment for instance).

How about civil rights reform, trade unions, end of slavery (institutionally), protecting western knowledge during the Dark Ages? Yes, Christians have contributed as well.

protecting western knowledge during the Dark Ages? Yes, Christians have contributed as well.

What? I'll skip the other items in the list which were also wrong but THIS?!

You just went full retard.

Never go full retard.

You basically just said fire kept the coal wet.

You're right, I am retarded...thanks for diagnosis.william Wilberforce had no part in the beginning of the end of the slave trade.
Enough for today, good night all...thanks for the bloody nose... ;-)

You administered it to yourself with your fallacious arguments.

Especially by using arguments against evolution so silly that (as kOrsan pointed out) Answers In Genesis pleads with people not to use them.

When even your own side says your arguments are stupid, you are asking for it.

Y'all come back and see us now, heah?

Here ya go Rich a parting gift from me.

My Precious....

I did not mean 'Christ'.

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service