Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 5234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The universe screams out 'design'...

Welcome, Richard.

I take your words above to mean the universe is teeming with evidence for God, and that the evidence consists of observable examples which have exclusively supernatural explanations. 

If that is not your meaning, please clarify. If that is your meaning, please provide one example.  

- - -

Please pardon the previous empty post, folks. It was full when I hit the 'Add Reply' button, but the forum seems to have ditched the content.

Strange turn of events today...I have the 'Stumble Upon' app on my pc, which randomly takes you to web pages in your specified categories. 'Religion' was one of my categories, and the first Stumble page brought me to the 'Think Atheist' home page. So, out of curiosity, I joined up. Pray for me, I am a sheep amongst wolves. I hope just to plant a seed in the heart of at least one person in that group. I firmly believe that 'Atheists' are intellectually dishonest. They can not prove there is no God, so they should at most be 'Agnostics', which admit they don't know if there is a God. I know there is a God, by experience, by His magnificent creations and by the Holy Spirit, which sealed me into His kingdom when I became 'born again'. My mantra will be Romans 1:20 For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. This is a day the Lord hath made, rejoice and be glad in it...Have a great day!

^^ Extracted from Richard's facebook page.  Just thought I'd share :)

I doubt this is going to end well. It amazes me that people think they can plant their seeds in us without getting to know us first. I don't just let strangers with no established credibility plant their seeds in me: I use prophylactics to guard against AIDS: Already Intelligently Dismissed Statements

(maybe the acronym needs a bit of work)

Just thought I'd share :)

You're a gem, Strega.

They can not prove there is no God,

This is a classic 'burden of proof' fallacy. I cannot disprove your evidence because you haven't provided any.

Crackpot: I've discovered cold fusion!
Me: Amazing! Let's see it!
Crackpot: I can't show it to anyone.
Me: Sorry, but I can't take your claims seriously.
Crackpot: Oh yeah? Prove that I haven't invented cold fusion!
Me: I can't.
Crackpot: (Triumphantly) See! I really have invented cold fusion! Ha ha!

So, I guess Richard is an agnostic when it comes to all the other gods (Krishna, Zeus, Odin, et al) as well as regards banshees, leprechauns, and brownies. Let's ask him!

Scary creepy cultist talk. I hope he has no children. Growing up with such a person would be child abuse.

I notice Richard hasn't responded to this one.

Apparently, in a universe that is packed full of examples of the supernatural, Richard is letting escape his golden opportunity to specify even one example.

What a pity.

I suggest going Occam's Razor on them. This is the idea that the less elaborate the explanation the better. It means that looking at the facts and the explanations or theories, adding "and God did/made it" is an unjustifiable addition.

However, don't lose sleep over it. Theists can't be too logical or they'd have to give up their belief, and keeping their belief is more important to them than anything else.

If they become atheists, they will most likely do that on their own without your help. Until then, you are just a prop in their little drama allowing them to prove that they aren't swayed by reason and logic.

Your statement John , reveals that you are not only ignorant regarding physics , astronomy , biology , microbiology , and mathematics , but are willfully ignorant to make such a ridiculous , unproven and silly statement . I would urge you to at least acquire a grade school familiarity in basic science principles prior to making such unlettered statements .

Very funny Richard!  I really don't believe that anyone could possibly be so blind and unintelligent so I can only assume you are taking the mickey.

It's not helpful.

Don't get me wrong this guy sounds like an emergent, which often isn't terribly Christian outside of the social group it makes, but I'm not real sure why the statement bothers you. Why do you feel that you have the market cornered on science? Since I'm a theist I can't appreciate science?

Seems ignorant and you're probably guilty of the same error. Have you found absolute truth? If so please share.

@Joshua D.:

You say;

Have you found absolute truth?

Absolute truth???

What do you mean by that?  Where in the scientific method is absolute anything found?  Can you quote a single qualified scientist who has ever claimed absolute truth about anything?

If so please share.

RSS

Blog Posts

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service