Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 5327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Science is the study of what God created!!! WOW.and you can't prove He doesn't.

Yup you're trolling at this point. Good one actually, even I thought you were for real at fist. You solicited some pretty long posts out of us.

As for that website, you have skulls, arranged by evolutionists...some probably apes and most are human in some stage of MICRO EVOLUTION. The fossil re ord does not show any evidence of life from the simple to the complex. WOW
And your hyperbole and demeaning diatribes show a lack of concise thought which you disguise as exasperation. Who's the grown-up in the room?
Ok. Richard admit it. You are actually Ray Comfort. This is getting painful to watch. Do you read the first half of sentences regarding scientific material and then get tired, bored, or confused and then stop to read a few bible passages to re-energize, and forget where you left off?

Your interpretation of genetic mutation is refuted in a genetics 101 course. There are harmful and beneficial mutations. Shared common ancestry is not the same as humans/cows coming from apes/horses. It's the way grammar school kids understand evolution and genetics not adults.

Do they have even a community college within 50 miles of you? I suggest you investigate. Heck, investigate something, anything beyond what a sympathetic website has to say.

Either that or you are really Unseen or someone else and we are being expertly catfished.

"If we are going to teach “creation science” as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction."
-- Judith Hayes --

RE: "you can't prove He doesn't" - it's not our job to "prove he doesn't," you're making the assertion, it's your job to prove he does. Where do you get your ideas, Richard? The Bible?

The only part of the Bible that tells us that your god created everything, are the first two chapters of Genesis, or "Bereshit," as it was called in Hebrew, "According to Moses" - but biblical scholars have established that Moses didn't even write those books, Chapter one was written by the Priestly Source, a group of Jewish priests in exile in Babylon, sometime after 522 BCE, and Chapter Two was written by a group known as the Yahwist Source, living in the Southern Kingdom of Judea, around 950 BCE, both living and writing hundreds of years after Moses, if he ever existed, took the long dirt-nap. So much for your inerrant book!

The "god as first cause" argument, Richard, forces the question, what created your god?

Don't bother. You're trying to kick water uphill.

And "science can not bridge the natural to the supernatural", we are only saying that the natural points to, is indicative of, the supernatural. The watchmaker argument.

ROFLMAO...LOL...etc.

Rich, I hope you hang around a while this is some funny shit.

Please, tell us more...but wait a sec...I gotta clean my screen...it's cover with the coffee I've been spewing out my nose everytime I read another of your posts....OK, I'm ready now. :)

I am at work and typing via my cell phone, so if I jump around it is for those reasons...and no I can not be an expert on every field of science, but a general understanding shows something with complexity has a designer. Maybe I am not as intelligent as all of you collectively, or perhaps even individually, but my study of our physical world, and from personal life experience (which i am sure you are eager to discount)proves to me the reality of God. None of you can prove how the universe got here or how life started, so "Let God be true, and every man a liar." I know quoting the bible makes you hysterical, so laugh yourselves silly.
Richard, you have just demonstrated the point that is trying to be made. Any monkey (to coin a phrase) can bring their knowledge to the point of 'general understanding'. General understanding ends when an individuals comprehension of concepts that are not easy to dilute ends. Then its time to do the homework.

Similarly whenever I see the phase 'common sense', I cringe. Common Sense: sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.
Q: So what happens when your simple perception is wrong Richard?
A: God

RSS

Forum

Questions from an old member who hasn't been around in quite awhile...

Started by Rocky Oliver (LotusGeek) in Small Talk. Last reply by Rocky Oliver (LotusGeek) 34 minutes ago. 3 Replies

New site

Started by umar in Announcements. Last reply by Unseen 5 minutes ago. 43 Replies

gay marriage decision

Started by Dale Headley in Small Talk. Last reply by Beth yesterday. 5 Replies

Is there an energy resource with such attributes?

Started by ỮŊĐÜムņĮØńệ尺 in Physics, Astronomy, Cosmology. Last reply by Pope Beanie 18 hours ago. 5 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

My Purity Ring

Posted by Michelle Varni on July 5, 2015 at 7:18pm 2 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service