Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 5225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Touche'
I meant that the Scientific Method' was invented by people, specifically scientists...but I see you want to split semantical hairs, you know what I mean. God gave us an intellectual curiosity, how we use it, i.e., by what we invent, is up to us. If we invent cleverly articulated arguments to try to diminish God as creator, well good luck with that...God will remain sovereign.
Richard,
This God which you refer to, it's an intriguing concept. Where did you first hear of such a thing? Tell me more of this concept its a novel idea please explain, really.

God will remain sovereign (king). One symptom that Christianity is going by the wayside is this constant talk of sovereigns, kings, princes, etc. It's just so fricken medieval.

"God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance,
that gets smaller and smaller as time goes on."
-- Neil Degrasse Tyson --

The universe screams out 'design'...

Thanks for stopping by, Richard.

I presume you mean the observable universe is teeming with examples that provide evidence for God in that these examples have exclusively supernatural explanations.

If you don't mean that, please clarify. If you do mean that, please provide one example.

I assume by "design" you mean the way stars are arranged to look like glitter spilled on a black floor? the way so many fetuses die spontaneously in the womb? 

The truth is, people like you will try to find in anything that isn't patently chaotic a magical sorcerer who brought it into being through giving it what you see as order.

BTW, there is so little order on the quantum level that we can only describe it statistically.

And people like you will dismiss the obvious with weak rhetorical flourishes 'spontaneously dead fetuses'. All pain and suffering is a result of prideful, disobediant humans. We chose our way over God's way, and blame Him that our biosphere is so corrupted.

All pain and suffering is a result of prideful, disobediant humans.

So you're saying that overweening pride and disobedience (to their husbands?) cause women to have spontaneous abortions, not physical or medical matters?

I don't suppose you have any proof(?).

No no Unseen. He's saying that infant rape (for example) is caused by the infant's defiance of this God because certainly he can't mean the infant deserved it. Or does he?

RE: "We chose our way over God's way, and blame Him that our biosphere is so corrupted."

To blame that which does not exist would be as insane as praising that which does not exist.

All pain and suffering is a result of prideful, disobediant humans.

25,000 people die of starvation every day. Most of them are children. How very Christian and how truly vile of you to blame human beings for their own misery, Richard.  

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service