Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 5289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I noticed once that I can't read as well, when I am upside down, and the text, right side up. I expect that this could affect perceptions during other experiences....;p).

Science isn't an invention of god, it is a means of humans to understand the universe.

The difference between science and religion is that one is a way of learning about the universe through observation while the other is a way of dismissing what is observed. One thrives off being challenged while the other hides from being challenged. One asks that you question the world around you and one asks that you don't.... Science relys on intelligent thinking. I don't think anywhere in the entire bible does it ever praise one for being intelligent. One asks you not to think. The other asks you to think a lot.

How about some REAL fun? ADD to their delusion! Show them a miracle, tell them you found a banana with a picture of Jesus on it!!!

I've lost the patience for reasoning with die hard theists. I just turn their own logic on them and tell them exactly what they oh so love to tell me.

"You're gonna find out one day, You KNOW that". "There's only one real guarantee in life, DEATH".

"Then you'll just be dead. Just like every other dead person".

Pitiful.

I can relate. I have a friend on Facebook which is always posting about how anti-Christian he thinks Obama is. It's so frustrating. He's a nice guy - why do his beliefs have to be so stupid? In general, I just sigh and continue about my business, because someone who is that crazy cannot be convinced. That would require rationality. As much as I hate it, some people just aren't rational.

People invented 'science', but they are in reality just learning and codifying the physics truths that are already parameters that inform our universe.  The universe screams out 'design'...and some of us see in that a 'designer'.  As for "Boom"?  Not a word I would use, but I imagine it was powerful to the person uttering it.  As far out as telescopes can see, and as far in as microscopes can see---design.

If there were a design, especially by a super intelligent being, why would the designed objects such as us be so imperfect?

Also, this is of course no answer.  What created the universe, what created life?  If it were another living thing then what created that.  That argument is like using a word to explain the meaning of itself: "what is a universe?"  "It's a universe."

This is logically wrong.  It may be that there was no traceable "beginning", but even if it were traceable it could never have been a god.  That would logically self-contradictory.

Design? Maybe through designer glasses (eh, see what I did there?). I see chaos that abounds from following natural laws. And not chaos as in randomness or a class full of kids doing what they want, but chaos as in chaos theory.  In other words, I see math.

Chaos theory still allows for a relatively stable planet to exist where humans are permitted to play out their lives. Entropy, degradation, and chaos are held at arms length at God's sovereign discretion...it doesn't matter how much math you use to describe otherwise.

I'd also argue the point you erroneously make that people "invented" science.  That's not strictly true.  It would be like saying that people invented walking.  Science is the method by which we investigate the way things function.  How exactly do the religious gain knowledge of things that at first are unknown?

I believe it's more accurate to say that people discovered science --

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Gary Clouse 21 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 28 minutes ago. 2 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 201 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 5 hours ago. 114 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service