Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is a pretty die-hard Christian (shock horror, both of his parents are missionaries/vicars) and he often posts little sayings of some kind or another on Facebook, which I usually ignore. However, today he posted something that really irritated me for some reason:

"The more I look at science, the more in awe of God I become."

And just to make that worse, one of his Christian friends commented "Boom" as if he had made some kind of infallible argument. Somehow, I feel as though nothing I say will make any difference because they must be incredibly deluded already to believe that God just "invented" science. Basically, this is the guy who thinks he's a "modern and intelligent" Christian by saying that things like Noah's Ark are "just stories and aren't meant to be taken seriously by Christians". But if that is true, then why take ANY of the Bible seriously and where does he draw the line between stories and (what he believes is) the truth?

In the past I asked him and his friend where the evidence was. He claimed science (yes, seriously) helped prove Christianity and that Christianity was about "opening yourself" to it and believing, and then you "feel God" or whatever. How do you argue with someone like that??

What do you all say to religious people (not necessarily just Christians) who claim that science is just an invention of God? Is there a specific way to argue with someone who twists everything to awkwardly suit modern day thinking?

Tags: Christians, God, Invented, Modern, Religion, Science

Views: 5258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suspect, X, that what sustains this premise of a "soul" existing outside the living body, is the idea of magic, which of course, as any Harry Potter fan knows, defies all natural laws.

Merlins Beard! Can we leave Potter out of this? Hasnt he been through enough?

The sharpest tool in the human toolkit is (Christopher) Hitchens' Razor:  that which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. The whole of religion falls, promptly, once you allow yourself to wield this simple tool.

Your friends are unlikely to find this compelling, however, because it does not resonate with their dogma. That should not stop you from picking up this tool anytime it's appropriate.

You might share this link with him, and to better sharpen your toolkit, read the Sam Harris book, Letter to a Christian Nation. Sam Harris on the problem of religious moderation

I'd say be glad he's doing that. The more christians that get that way the more it shows that they are in mass retreat to science. It's a last ditch effort to justify beliefs that become more absurd every day. First comes 'well the flood story isn't real' to more and more backpedaling. The more absurdity is pointed out, they either go to lala land like this friend, or they snap out of it. Or do the first and then finally the second. Also, some people just cannot be reasoned with, the psychological benefit is too strong. As evolved as we have become currently, people still do irrational things on a day to day and minute to minute basis. A really inane example is identify faces in inanimate objects like clouds and rocks.

"A really inane example is identify faces in inanimate objects like clouds and rocks."

Hay I resemble this remark. We have a bathroom rug near the toilet, that has a nice heavy shag. I have 'found' some rather nice female faces in the shag a few times. I think that was a pun, sorry...

My wife has said something similar I think....LOL 

Atheist sees image of Big Bang in piece of toast.

"I was just about to spread the butter when I noticed a small hole in the middle of the bread surrounded by a burnt black ring," said Chapman. "Then I saw the direction and splatter patterns of the crumbs - they were flowing outward from the center of a black hole, changing shades as their distance from the center grew. A perfect match to the chaotic-dynamic non-linear patterns that followed the Big-Bang. It's the beginning of the world - right there in my breakfast!"

This was a satirical site mocking the Jesus toast reports, that Gallup's Mirror linked us to on another thread.  I think we should promulgate the perspective!

I saw the face of Cthulhu in the door to my hotel room's bathroom when I went to the reason rally.

http://letreasonreign.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/miraculous-evidence-...

I wish I had photographed it before the rally as someone was mock-counterprotesting there in the name of Cthulhu.

I think I have seen this also on a few doors, but also, counter tops. My mother has a weird floor in her small bathroom, where I have seen 'something' a little off color.

I keep finding faces in a fluffy rug of ours, some times they are rather cute. So far our puppies show no interests in eating us, or disemboling the cats!

Does Cthulhu do house calls?

LOL 

We've actually evolved the ability to recognize faces wherever we look. There's a specific part of the brain that does this. Notice how the faces we see are always the right way up and never upside down, that's because we cannot recognize facial features when they are upside down.

It's very interesting, so that's just my pointless 2 cents into this conversation.

It's called, "The Thatcher Effect", named after a UK Prime Minister whose face was used by a photographer as the subject for illustration of the effect, and yes, it's weird as a weird thing can be..

'The ability to make sense out of non-sense', would this be called the, 'Theist Effect'?  

Yup! That's the one.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 11 minutes ago. 52 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 12 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 14 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 14 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service