I think I am a lucky guy. I live a good life. But if luck is a fiction, like a deity is, I am not lucky or blessed or even honored to live this life.

So what term defines my life (at least at this moment) in a way that does not refer to the supernatural?

Tags: blessed, blessing, fortunate, fortune, luck

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chance has no memory, but after a series of random events we'll have a curve on which the outcomes are distributed.  We'd describe someone at the far end of the curve as lucky.  I don't think we should ascribe magic powers to people who have had events in the past turn out in their favor.  If I rolled lots of 20s last game, I submit that I am no more likely to roll 20 the next toss (given fair dice).

Now that I am thinking about fair dice, in terms of the human condition, I don't believe people are born with the same set.  I think a lot of what we're referring to as a person's luck may be better described as a person's privilege.  It can come in the form of wealth, parenting, intelligence, beauty, athleticism, artistic talent or whatever.  Privileged people are more likely to have what could be considered a lucky life.  Outcomes more frequently fall in their favor, given equal effort.

Are you trying to get an "Intro to Philosophy?"

Let's start with - "existence"

The feeling is a result of outcome vs expectation. Dopamine, and other neuro-elements at play. It's sometimes pretty powerful, so it makes some people think the feeling's attached to something bigger than themselves, whatever that might be.

Tough to fit that on a bumper sticker, though. :)

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service